Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much salt for skins  (Read 13288 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
How much salt for skins
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:49 am »
I am hoping to get some skins back from the abattoir to send off for tanning. I was wondering how much salt people usually end up using on each skin before it is ready to be sent off.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: How much salt for skins
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:18 pm »
I am currently salting 3 lamb skins. They are on their second salting and I have used about 3/4 of a 25 kilo bag of salt.
The last salting, when I send them off, will be much lighter ti reduce the cost of posting.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:59:49 pm »
Depending on the breed and therefore size, Devonia in Buckfastleigh recommend about 1 kg per skin, per application. Two applications before posting.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »
I am hoping to get some skins back from the abattoir to send off for tanning. I was wondering how much salt people usually end up using on each skin before it is ready to be sent off.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

I was just deliberating this question... sending off my Gotland x Shetland wethers next week, and then hopefully the skins for tanning.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:30:05 pm »
Mine are the same Gotland x Shetland  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:04:37 pm »
I was advised at least 1kg per skin on first salting, then go over the skin again and re-salt any areas where the salt is damp.  The Shetland x GFD skins from Devonia were superb this year :thumbsup: .  I have some there now - 20 week turnaround - :fc: :fc:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
Mine are the same Gotland x Shetland  ;D

Lovely skins and fleece from that cross  :thumbsup:

For the salting, don't skimp on the salt, or on making sure the skins are well done.  Salt in bulk is dirt cheap and can make all the difference between success and failure of the tanning process.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »
I have got one 25kg bag waiting here, and merchants assured me they have more in stock...

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »
Katie have you got a animal biproduct licence and are you using granton coz if so you will 100% not get them back without the licence as we found out ! We now have the licence bit bloody late though !!!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 06:34:53 pm »
Yes I have got the licence  :thumbsup:

Where is the best place to get big bags of salt then?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
We get ours from an agricultural merchant, the kind that sells feed, clothing, tools etc.  20 or 25kg bags.  One of those should be enough.  Wear rubber gloves and a pinny.  Use a scoop to get the salt out.  Rub it into any curled up corners. Apply enough that you can't see the skin through the salt, and add to it if you see any pink (wet) salt as it absorbs liquid.  And don't forget to chop the purse off.  I cover mine with a light polythene sheet if the weather is not dry and cold, as keeps off atmospheric moisture.
Have fun - it's a 'orrible job  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »
And don't forget to chop the purse off. 

????

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »
And don't forget to chop the purse off. 

If your boys weren't ringed that is.... ne purse on me boys anymore ;D

????

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:40 pm »
We get ours from an agricultural merchant, the kind that sells feed, clothing, tools etc.  20 or 25kg bags.  One of those should be enough.  Wear rubber gloves and a pinny.  Use a scoop to get the salt out.  Rub it into any curled up corners. Apply enough that you can't see the skin through the salt, and add to it if you see any pink (wet) salt as it absorbs liquid.  And don't forget to chop the purse off.  I cover mine with a light polythene sheet if the weather is not dry and cold, as keeps off atmospheric moisture.
Have fun - it's a 'orrible job  :roflanim:
My salt came from the agri merchants. I think it was £6 for the 25k bag so it isn't worth stinting on it.
I was expecting an 'orrible job' but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I put on vinyl gloves and then put the long lambing gloves over the top just in case  :o but found they wern't necessary.
The skins were very clean inside and not at all smelly. I guess thats because they were so fresh. They were still warm when I was salting them. A week down the line and still no smell. Perhaps thats because I did a good salting job on them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:35:09 pm »
I bought my salt from Tesco - at 25p per kg bag, it's about the same as the large bags but much tidier.
You should be able to put the salt on when it's really fresh, and my latest skin was removed from the sheep at the end of August and still doesnt smell with salt on it, I've been working it a little at a time when I get the chance, but 6 weeks on it is still fresh under the salt!
PS purse=scrotum, I'd rather not have that kind of pennies in my purse though lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS