Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Learning about rabbits  (Read 7625 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Learning about rabbits
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:53:52 am »
Can anyone recommend a book or website where I can learn the basics of keeping rabbits (for meat but I guess the basic information is the same)?

Thanks

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Learning about rabbits
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:05 am »
Rabbit welfare have all the basic info, diet, health, hutch size etc http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »
Rabbit welfare have all the basic info, diet, health, hutch size etc http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Thank you  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
I am sure that there must be many  good books and web sites that can help you here. My take on good care and producing a good product starts with breeding stock and having plenty of time.  Sure you can buy in factory produced feed  or you can grow excess veg, gather fresh wild plants, make your own hay and treat them to fruits. I reckon that our rabbits take up more time in terms of feeding and cleaning out their runs than does our chickens or ducks.  They are fascinating animals especially when you investigate their physiology and behavioural traits and a good return on ones time if you are prepared to try the many receipts that use their meat. Good luck and hope you enjoy them us much as us. ( I actually have a batch that I must process and get into the freezer tomorrow so quite a timely post).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »
Rosemary I have an old but very comprehensive book called Raising Rabbits by Ann Kanable you can have it if you like cheers Dougie.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
Rosemary I have an old but very comprehensive book called Raising Rabbits by Ann Kanable you can have it if you like cheers Dougie.

That would be good  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:50 am »
We're thinking about having two does and a buck. As far as I can see, these need to be kept in individual hutches except when the doe goes to the buck (not the other way round). Or can the two does share except when gving birth?

We're planning to keep the young rabbits, from weaning to killing (about 5-6 weeks) in moveable cages on grass, the same way we keep meat chickens. This might not work over winter so we'd have to manage the timing of breeding to take account of that.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:00:12 am »
british rabbit council is the first point of reference, they are very helpful and friendly. experts on advising on the keeping of multiple rabbits.
www.thebrc.org

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 02:03:48 pm »
Ok I will post the book up to you enjoy.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:14:02 pm »
We're thinking about having two does and a buck. As far as I can see, these need to be kept in individual hutches except when the doe goes to the buck (not the other way round). Or can the two does share except when gving birth?

We're planning to keep the young rabbits, from weaning to killing (about 5-6 weeks) in moveable cages on grass, the same way we keep meat chickens. This might not work over winter so we'd have to manage the timing of breeding to take account of that.

Generally 2 entire does will fight, especially if hormones start flying round. They definitely won't be able to share when they have litters, although may be alright as youngsters. They are social animals despite that (!) so a split pen where they can see each other for some time each day might work.

Moveable cages on grass will work as long as you prepare for attempts to dig out, but also might be worth considering health from meeting wild rabbits.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:58 pm »
interesting programme on Radio 4 today about UK meat rabbits - the Food Programme.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:54 pm »
Just went to post but realised David c beat me to it.

Yes, do see if you can get today's programme on Iplayer Rosemary. There was quite a bit on how farmed rabbit is reared (it sounded quite horrific - worse than battery chickens TBH), and an interview with a young chap who was trying to set up his own rabbit farm. "So how many rabbits do you have at the moment?" asked the interviewer. "Er, seven" was his reply, "but I'm hoping to multiply that to a few thousand"!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:53 am »
Commercially farmed rabbit sounds horrendous which is why we thought we'd try a more welfare friendly route. Getting thoughts together and planning to start in the spring  :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »
Rosemary , I used to be the membership secretary of the British Commercial Rabbit Association . I spent three years researching rabbits and commercial meat production .
Blacks Scientific books used to do a good book on the subject . Cambridge university libraries were also a good source of info.

I also attended several veterinary orientated seminars about keeping rabbits healthy & was taken under the wing of a learned professor ( John Snowden??? ) who  in the late 1960's was the UK's  foremost authority on artificial insemination of commercial meat rabbits and show stock ( he's been dead for about 18 years ) and using rabbits for the at the time normal method of human being pregnancy testing.
  Rabbits are diurnal  they function happily inn the day or night . The stress easily and often die from stress related occasioned sicknesses.

I ran rabbits commercially for a while on thick gauge 3/4 inch electro galve mesh floored cages that were 2 x 2 x 18 inches tall , I didn't feel happy at putting my stock through the discomfort and cramped conditions.   So I moved over as soon as I could afford it special home made  4 foot  x 4 foot  x 3 foot tall wire cages with slatted  wooden floors ( 1/4 of an inch between the 2 inch wide slat platform  with ( cleaned out weekly)   barley straw on the platforms .  Each doe also had a 15 x 15 x 15 inch cube nest box filled with a four inch layer of soft clean dry hay  that had a 7 inch round hole four inches from the floor as this  stops the suckling kits being dragged out the nest if the doe is startled or decided to come out the nest for food or drink .

When ready to kindle the doe strips fur off her reachable parts to line the basic nest so having a bald chested doe  is not some thing to fear.
 The does do not have normal fertile cycles like most mammals  they have what is known as an oestrous  which is basically that they get so excited by being in the presence of a randy buck & his rather energetic mating that the eggs in her become available for fertilization . A doe can reabsorb her pregnancy till about the 18th day if memory serves me correct . She can be post partum mated ( that's what happens in the wild ) and is highly fertile for three days after giving birth .
 Post partum mating in herds or the domestic situation will shorten her productive life to about reasonable 9 litters after that pregnancies become a bit of hit and miss and frequently only issue one to three kits ..quite often when she is 14 month or older the last one on the way out will be so big it blocks her birth channel , it dies and she dies of blood ]poisoning .

The does usually only feed their young once a day and that tends to be in the early hours of the morning when they have digested their evening meal .

Things have drastically changed , you'll need to check out the RSPCA's " five freedoms "  in farming stock to understand a few things about keeping live stock even for just keeping domestic food rabbits lest some person form a protection agency notices you .
 Think carefully about how you will give them water especially in very hot or below minus 10 oC conditions. 
I used to add a liquid vitamin to the drinker header tanks every three days  because artificially feeding & watering rabbits does tend to leave out vital to health enhancing trace elements in their diets and water .
Do ignore the old wives tale about that says , " Rabbits don't need water " ... in the wild they get a lot of it from fresh greens and they also lick rain off plants or go quite often  to the waters edge and take a drink at night .

Feeding .. what will you feed them ?  Especially in winter when the grasses & other vegetation have lost the vast majority of their goodness & nutrients .
I use to feed a balanced chemist checked mix of rolled corns , chopped alfalfa , chopped hay  soybean , biscuit and flaked peas .
 When the company the company that made the formula up for me ceased trading I resorted to using Roger rabbit food in three tonne loads ,.which was a wee bit expensive but far better than a wasteful and unpalatable dry pelleted feed soaked in oils with added vitamins to keep the rabbits healthy .

The cages will need to be big enough to accommodate a large commercial doe which is say 2 feet long and able to reach up to 2 foot six tall when hopping or stretching .
So to my mind nowadays you'll be looking at a cage at least 4 foot by four foot by three foot six tall for the does and likely followers average number say seven kits till they are weanable at 7 or  8 weeks old . Then you'll need caging for M or F sexed groups of weaners .
By the time these weaners are 16 weeks or so old they,  will not only be eating you out of house and home they will start feeling sexual urges and may well start fighting  and biting amongst themselves. So it's best to have some provision for the fatteners & fryers in individual caging .

Rabbits are now supposed by animal welfare rules to be able to see their fellow kind and be able to communicate visually and audibly ,  so housing them in a common shed where they can see & hear each other can be useful. it also helps keep the rabbits warm and dry which in turn means that they have a far better food to meat conversion rate . Wet or damp rabbits suffer tremendous heat loss and are prone to sickness which is often fatal or easily spread through the rest of the stock .
 Lights in the shed are useful during winter , though don't put them on auto dusk switches for that instantly attracts mozzies and other biting insects. I had a sealable two door walk through porch on each of our sheds with a large triple tube Insect-o -cuter fly killer just inside the main shed ( had to empty it about every five days )
 I also vaccinated against Myxi for not only were does going to be a loss if I got struck with bit my stock bucks worth several thousand of pounds would have also been wiped out.

Your cages will need to be quite large and definitely fox proof if out doors as well as protected at all times from gnats & midges as these spread calci virus /  Residual Hemaroghaic ( sp?) Disease  via their bites , along with Myxi .

Rabbit fleas from wild rabbits  or  rabbit fleas off cats also spread the diseases so keep any moggies away from the rabbits.
Run the rabbits on deep bed barley straw if you can get it . Don't keep the two does in the same cage for they tend to take false pregnancies and also start fighting due to frustration at not being mated especially if they can smell the buck .... who pees all over the place and rubs his face in it to show how manly he is to his ladies.

There is a lot more I can add , I've put a lot inn the rabbits sub section a long while ago ,I have to stop now for I'm on notice to go out on the school run.

Let me know what you think of what I've put Rosemary  .

Anyone else  .....   Please feel free to  give me some feed back so I can bring my mind a bit closer to the subject once again.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS