Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat proof feeder  (Read 3407 times)

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
Rat proof feeder
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:36:48 pm »
Evening

Any recommendations on rat proof feeders? Ideally weatherproof as well.

Thanks

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Rat proof feeder
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:42:13 pm »
The galvanised treadle feeders are supposed to be really good

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Galvanised_Treadle_Poultry_Feeder.html

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:39 am »
I've just bought one of these

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/stockshop-treadle-chicken-feeder-galvanised

Not assembled it yet but will report back once I've tried it. We've got an ever growing rat problem in our main run.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
We've used these for a few years now, not the cheapest treadle feeders but very reliable and robust:

http://www.grandpasfeeders.co.uk/

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:15:09 pm »
We have grandpa's feeders which we haven't needed to use yet. They are very well constructed indeed, but I have felt the need to tune the balance of the assembly by adding lead to the underside of the treadle. They will be great for a flock of large hens all about the same weight, but I don't think you could use them reliably on lighter breeds.

Be aware the birds need training to use them and during that time the unit needs to be under cover to protect from rain.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:39 pm »
Partly why I haven't deployed mine yet. Too wet. Need a week of dry so I can leave it open, at least during the day. I will leave another feeder in the house for a while in case some hens can't work it out quickly.

Northernhippy

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Glastonbury
  • Northern Hippy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:55 pm »
I use a galvanised treadle feeder, it has an overhang that keeps the treadle dry. I keep a brick on the top to keep vermin out and stop the top blowing open in windy weather. I have it standing on a pallet with a metal sheet on top of the pallet. This allows the feeder to stay above the grass/mud/weeds, (depending on the time of year) and raising it on a pallet leaves a space underneath to regularly throw in a couple of Big Cheese rat poison blocks where the chooks can't reach 'em!! I put a brick on the treadle to keep it open for the first day but one the gang knew the food was in there they had no problem standing in the right place. You can fit plenty of feed into these units and several chooks can feed at the same time. It is important to clean it out regularly so spoilt feed isn't consumed. I can highly recommend treadle feeders, I wouldn't use anything else.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS