Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Housing help  (Read 8008 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
Sheep Housing help
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:00:59 am »
I am on rented ground for my 30 girls (and one tup). I would like to erect a sort of field shelter type building to use for routine things/lambing/etc. There is a poly tunnel already there I can use ( although it is unsheeted and has a load of rubbish and overgrown weeds in and around it. Has anyone any reomendations where to buy suitable sheeting? Roughly what are will I need to house my girls at lambing? I would like to add on extra storage in the future. Not keen to spend a massive amount as it isn't my land, I do have my wooden frame left from my 12 x 16 horse shelter which is in parts after taking that down (lost my ponies grazing)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Sheep Housing help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 02:04:04 pm »
SImple pole barn style shelter is probably easiest.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:15:15 pm »
Has anyone any photos of their set ups? Preferably Small scale "sheds"

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
TELEPHONE 01282 601253
Try this company for replacement sheeting.  Very helpful and they will supply spare parts, and sell sheeting by the metre.

If you decide to cover down to the ground, please be aware that tunnels can get very hot and are not ideal for sheep - good ventilation is essential.  A cover over the top to give a dry area would be be helpful, maybe a cheap tarpaulin?  Do you have a source of pallets?  We find them useful to make temporary side walls.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Out of interest, what is the shed actually for?

Most of my rented bits have no shelters, just hedges etc.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »
Lambing. I only rent and own no land so need a 'base' so to speak

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:56:16 am »
You could hire a small marquee if you are sure of your lambing times. Cheap and temporary.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:28:44 am »
Key question is probably how windy the site is and how likely you are to have snow - polytunnels don't stand much of either.  Are there any farm sales near you where you could buy some secondhand corrugated iron and clad the field shelter frame? 

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:22:05 am »
Fence poles for uprights, 3x2 supporting corrugated for roofs, weatherboard or old doors etc for backs and ends, hurdles on fronts when in use.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »
We aren't too windy and fairly flat. Snow may be an issue. Zwartbles that looks good, do you need planning for that? I have lots of large telegraphs I can use if I can knock them in.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:47 pm »
Temporary agricultural buildings?
Telegraph poles unnecessarily heavy? I only use 3" posts knocked in about 9". It's about using what we've got isn't it! The shelters are about 5' high at front reducing towards the back.Each bay 6' wide so can use standard width hurdles on front. One pole at front and one half way back to fix lengthways 3 x 2 onto to stop the roof sagging. Mostly done by trial and error!!
We tie cardboard to the front hurdles if the weather is really bad. Cardboard bike boxes from your friendly bike shop flattened down and tied on with baler twine(Surprise, surprise).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 07:14:33 pm »
Split feed sacks tied to the outside would do the job of the cardboard and last longer, or gash wood, or scraps of lino .....

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:54 pm »
As said, use what you've got!!

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:46 am »
We have a shelter made from pallets and corrugate plastic roof - round posts banged into ground, pallets put ontop to form side - 3 pallets deep and 4 pallets wide, 2 pallets high.  Rail for post and rail fencing screwed to pallets to secure.  Rails screwed across top and plastic fitted to this.  Currently used as a hay store but could be used as a shelter too with hurdles across the front.  Can fit 60 or so small hay bales in it. Will try and post pic when it stops raining

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »
Rather than using a poly tunnel cover for a poly tunnel, would it be a bad idea to use tarpulin? As it cheaper than buying a full new sheet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS