Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Sheep Trailer  (Read 11522 times)

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
Best Sheep Trailer
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:07:30 am »
Hello,

I am on the look out for a small sheep trailer and was just wondering what would be the best trailer to cart about 8 sheep with?  I would preferably like something that is low profile as find it easier to tow with less wind resistance.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

:)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Best Sheep Trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
Ifor 6x4 is a little small for 8. So go for a slightly larger CLH, good trailers but the quality of the peripherals is not as good as Ifor (or buy my 10x5 with decks and buy more sheep!)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »
Depends on the breed - 8 Shetlands do fit into the 6 x 4... unless you go for hours.

Also if you only need sheep trailer, then bigger one would be good, but if you also would use it as high-sided trailer with the roof removed (to take a round bale of hay for example) the smaller one is excellent. What engine-sized car do you have?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »
Got a cracking little trailer here 7.5 x 4.5, with ramp, gates, removable roof etc. Fits 12 ewes at a push. Tows like a dream.  Also fits a few pigs and a dozen bales. I find it more versatile than a 6 x 4.

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »
Got a CLH 7x4 that is good for 10-12 sheep, size dependent, and really pleased with it, Keith

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
Remember that Ifor also do both 7 and 8 foot versions of their wee 6 foot trailer (P7e and P8e respectively). The only disadvantage is that the max payload decreases as the size increases, due to the increased unladen weight, and for example they won't take a builder's bag of sand.

Much cheaper than a braked trailer though. Just don't leave them in the field with geese, unless you particularly like re-wiring rear light clusters  >:( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:42 pm »
You idiot womble! I can't imagine doing anything so simple.. If you had every bulb, wire and rubber bit eaten because you left it parked too close to the collie puppy however - you would have my sympathy, perfectly understandable could happen to anyone.. :dunce:

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:46:28 am »
get one that's larger than what you need, then if you get more sheep you'll still have an adequate trailor :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:12:15 am »
But it all depends on the car you drive to tow the trailer, check the max weight you can tow before deciding on which trailer!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:40:42 am »
Good point Anke, and of course will be lower for an unbraked trailer than for braked. For example, my wee Fabia can tow 750kg braked, but only 450kg unbraked (the caravan websites don't usually mention this, as caravans usually have brakes, but you can find the data on parkers.co.uk if you look hard enough!).

The 6 ft and 8 ft Ifor trailers weigh 156kg and 218kg respectively, so realistically with the big one I should only tow about 230kg of sheep..... i.e. about four of them!

Oh, if you do get the Ifor, go for the wider 'floatation' tyres. They're a huge help when towing around fields etc  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:48:49 am »
this makes my trailer conversion plans so much cooler.

single axle braked general purpose trailer with cage sides weighs 350kg but i can put 1.3 tons in to it, so the 200kg maximum that my conversion kit weighs will make it very cool...

as weight isn't an issue for me, how much space do sheep need in a trailer for travelling? should small numbers be confined to smaller spaces to stop them rattling around???

oh and my crappy kia sedona can tow it all :-D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 08:16:29 am »

as weight isn't an issue for me, how much space do sheep need in a trailer for travelling? should small numbers be confined to smaller spaces to stop them rattling around???

Yes, if you look for the Welfare of Animals in Transit guidelines, it gives you the minimum and maximum pen dimensions.

I am very impressed with my wee CLH trailer, and think it is much better than the similar sized IW, one feature I find particularly useful is the multi positions for the internal gate, so for instance, if you go to a Rare Breeds sale intendting to buy one Kerry Hill tup and one Shetland tup, and in fact buy those plus three Sheland gimmers and two Shetland ewe lambs, you can make sections of more appropriate sizes!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »
Ifor 6x4 is a little small for 8. So go for a slightly larger CLH, good trailers but the quality of the peripherals is not as good as Ifor (or buy my 10x5 with decks and buy more sheep!)

Are you selling your trailer?  If so where abouts in the country are you and what price/condition?  Cheers!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »
Hi yes I am, ad in Marketplace

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:28:57 am »

oh and my crappy kia sedona can tow it all :-D

Having had a crappy kia sedona myself, I agree the 2 ton towing weight is good for a car, and it's loved by the caravan people because of this.  Nice and long too so good for stability.  Also being able to take all the seats out at the back and still being able to fit 6ft long furniture, yet not be a van per se was good for me at a point in time.  So you can camp in the back of them, handy at lambing time.

You'll be fine until you get off the road with a trailer or need ground clearance. Or needing to park on a hill -on or off road - the parking brake is dreadful (lots of wire and a grand tour of the vehicle before it gets anywhere near the brakes).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS