Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ram purchased  (Read 2670 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
ram purchased
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »
I will be taking delivery of my new shearling charollais over the next few days. Starting to get excited about tupping now!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
Re: ram purchased
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »
I just bought a Charolais shearling tip at the weekend, he makes my Ryeland Tup lamb look miniature!

Be nice to see a picture on here if you've got one and I will post one of mine once I download some.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:49 pm »
I decided on one of the smaller boys, some were monsters. I'd like to think mine is a good quality lad, well in proportion, with good limbs, tight wool,etc,

Not sure how to post a photo?. What are your ewe lambs/ ewes?

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:10:39 pm »
I've got 13 mule cross Charolais's, 6 suffolk cross mules and ten Ryelands.

The Ryelands will be tupped by the pedigree tup, some are pedigree so will be keeping some ewe lambs.

Some of the Charolais and Suffolk x mules won't run with the tup as they are this years lambs so a little young/small.

The beauty of having the two flocks is that I can breed the Ryeland with the Charolais which make good butchers lambs as well as some good breeding ewes.

What are you crossing yours with?
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »
My ewe lambs are Suffolk mule crosses. Any smaller ones will be seperated and left till next year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »
The Charollais was one of the breeds where the wool was improved by breeding in some Merino blood.  The English Down sheep were similarly improved in the late 18th Century.  The breed originated in an area of France considerably warmer and drier than the UK so there's a bit of question mark over its hardiness in exposed sites.  Several local farmers are switching from the Charollais as a terminal sire due to the lambs struggling to cope with the last two very wet Springs.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:58:01 pm »
Do you think a charollais ram is a bad idea then marches farmer?

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:14:13 pm »
Where are you located Jamie? Outdoor/indoor lambing?

I quite like Charlies to be honest, makes lambing nice n easy usually slip out, especially on a seasoned ewe, and decent growers.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:49:26 pm »
Dont worry about charlys not being "tough" I outdoor lamb and never had a charlie cross lamb get cold or die of cold or wet or anything

My charollais ram lamb is january born and been living outdoors since he was turfed outside at 24hrs old!

Also the charmoise is french (and was used to create the charollais) and has a fine coat and no hair on ears etc and they do fine in all weathers outside, very tough little monsters, I am lambing some this year in January and then lambing 60 ewes all to charmoise and charollais tups outdoors in march

Should make some nice lambs to your suffolk x mules!!

good luck  :thumbsup:

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »
I'm in south Scotland, not to exposed where I am and planning to lamb in a poly tunnel.
They seem ideal for ease of lambing which is what am after

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:37 pm »
Cant see you having any bother over mules pal. And yeah, we saw a difference in terms of ease comparing Charlie tup to suffolks we use to use.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS