Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ORGANIC PIG NUTS  (Read 2850 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
ORGANIC PIG NUTS
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »
Hello all,  can anyone recommend a supplier of organic pig nuts for my two GOS we are growing for meat. We are based in Suffolk but I assume that they can all deliver........

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: ORGANIC PIG NUTS
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:00 pm »
I believe Marriage's produce one.  Never bothered with the organic stuff myself.  Ours are fed a standard 16% protein sow and weaner nut all the way through, boosted with soaked, milled wheat and barley coming up to slaughter and fruit and vegetables straight from the orchard/garden.

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:04 pm »
Thanks for that. My boys are soooo fussy..I have fed them champagne and caviar (sweetcorn and beetroot straight from the veg garden) and they turn their noses up...I even really cut back their food (nuts) for a couple of days to make them desperate enough to even eat the courgettes that have gone to marrows but to no avail! ???  Fussy buggers.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:08:45 am »
A hungry pig wil eat absolutely anything.  You could drop the evening feed and feed them a lot less a little later than usual the following morning.  So long as they have access to clean water and your fences are too good for them to escape it may help.  Keep them on feed only and resist the temptation to lob vegetables over the fence for a week or so.  If you have a cool shed most veg will keep well for a week or more.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »
A company called Hi-peak do organic buts its way pricey!
I'd be tempted to even miss a feed and then see how hungry they are...remember 450g of feed per month of age to a max of 2kg, 2kg is a good maintenance ration for stock pigs fatteners can stay on the rule upto six months.
Also we shred all our veg and add it to their regular nuts, time consuming but we find if its just shot over the fence thet're not particularly interested.
hth
mandy :pig:

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »
Thanks.....I reckon from observing their behavior that shredding everything and mixing it with the nuts is the way to get it down them! It's just such a shame to have worked so hard to grow organic veg gluts with non one to eat it! Last year when we had a break, it was heart breaking. One of the things I looked forward to most was piggies appreciating my produce....(the wife has a habit of being lazy and buying clean, washed [imported!!!!] food when the garden is full ??? :'( :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
Sorry but a fussy pig??  :roflanim: Managed a 3,000 sow breeding unit and never known a healthy pig not wanna eat unless really overfed. Sure there cant be an underlying health issue?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS