Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: checking sheep in the dark.  (Read 7600 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
checking sheep in the dark.
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:17:45 am »
Can anyone give me advice or tips of checking sheep in the dark? Sadly I can't do it in the light anymore and I've discovered they are extremely spooky of a torch now this would be ok but we get a lot of fog so even with a torch I can't see them!
What does everyone else do?  Will they get used to a light?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: checking sheep in the dark.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:25:41 am »
Don't bother ----you wont be able to do it effectively

If you can't get there in day light hours and they need checking then get someone else in to do it

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:30:14 am »
We have ours trained to the car and bucket Even when they are in the fields next to the house all we have to do is point the car towards the gate with lights , shout COME ON once and they all come running as they know there is a bucket
They now come running if they just see my car coming up the drive at any time of day or night  ::)
Graham

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:33:54 am »
Expensive but night sight binoculars.  They will not work in fog though.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 11:21:35 am »
My sheep are used to being checked in the dark. Torchlight  and "sheep, sheep, sheep" bring them running for a biscuit. Takes a bit of practise and training :sheep: :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »
Feed them - once they're trained, they'll come to you. Of course if one doesn't come, then you'll have to go looking  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »
Ours are spooked by a torch most of the time, but during lambing they soon get used to it, so they don't get up.  I don't like to disturb them when they're all lagered up (ewes round the outside, lambs tucked safely in the middle).  I know where they'll be then, because at that time of year they sleep at the highest point of our land, unless they're in their shelters.
I use a head torch to see my way around, then a powerful torch to flash over the sheep.  Those giant torches hurt their eyes, so shouldn't be shone directly at them anyway.  Then I stand and slowly check with the big torch round all the field edges for eyes reflecting (our sheep are black so can only see the eyes).  If I'm worried then I'll go around the whole perimeter.  Really we only check them at night during lambing, or if I hear someone bawling, which usually means a problem.
I think yours will soon get used to you checking with a torch through the winter.  If you have only a few sheep, then you can easily count them and only if there's one missing go searching. Or if it's foggy you just have to traipse round.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:28:42 pm »
Mine a black so even more of a problem, I use a torch and count the eyes, they tend to all look up as soon as I point the torch towards them.  If there is one not looking I call them in with a bucket for closer inspection.

Of course countiing the eyes doesn't let you check them all out in detail but it does let me know they are all there, all in the normal place and all alert.  That gives me an idea that everything is as it should be.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:40 pm »
Check out the Albedo 100 animal spray- a reflective spray for animals coats- its really bright. Have used it in the ponies mane and tail and the dogs.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:15 pm »
I dont check at night I think this disturbs them to much.
Sheep

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »
Try and check them in the light  :wave:

Checking at night time, even lambing time spooks them and they are usually sleeping/tucked away somewhere anyway

If you really do have to check them at night, I think B&Q does glow in the dark spray paint....

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 05:40:13 pm »
If you are honest ... what exactly can you check for in the dark?    Yes if you don't have too many then I guess you can check they are all there ..... but as for lameness, scouring , wounds etc,  which is what you need to check for,  it needs to be done in daylight .... ask a friend.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »
I find one of the rechargable flourescent tube type of lights very useful, gives a better spread of light and doesn't spook my sheep as much as a direct beam. Keep checking them it's better you try than don't bother, you can certainly notice if one is on it's back rather than leaving it all night.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »
I have only had my 4 sheep for a few weeks but I have got them used to me being out in the field with a torch in the dark from day one as I always check my horses last thing at night. They are the other side of the sheep fence and the stables are a short cut away across the sheep paddock. I use one of the wide beam flourescent type lights like Shotblastuk mentioned but have to be very careful not to actually talk to the sheep or they come whizzing over to see me (only checking for digestive biscuits obviously!). It does mean that I can discretely check them for anything untoward though, even though I have seen them in the daylight, which gives me peace of mind as a 'Newbie'. Like Devonlady, 'sheep, sheep, sheep' would get me a turbo charged response at the mo!
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:46 pm »
A check to see if they're all the right way up is OK in the morning but someone needs to check for injuries, limping, ears down, reluctance to rise, hanging back from the rest and all the subtle indicators of ailing health that you can only see by observing quietly for a much longer period in daylight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS