Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turnips/Grazing for sheep  (Read 2637 times)

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
Turnips/Grazing for sheep
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »
Hey everyone,

Have been offered about 3-4 acres of turnips for grazing and was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about the pro's and cons of doing so.

We have yet to agree a price as we have both said we'd go away and investigate the going rate.
The field is fenced but I will have to fill a gap or two and set up my electric fence to hold them back a bit.

I was thinking of putting 20 odd ewe lambs on it and if the weather turns very wet I can run them into an adjoining field so as not to poach the ground.

If anyone has any experience on strip grazing etc and what I should offer to pay, I'd be very interested in hearing your views.

Thanks in advance!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Turnips/Grazing for sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 06:29:55 pm »
Plenty farms up here do the neeps.
Prices will vary between areas so cant really pass comment on that.
Its a good way of feeding stock (sheep & cattle).
Benefits to the grower - they get their field fertilised from the stock.
Benefits to the stock keeper - the stock are well fed through efficient feeding.  The fences aren't moved until the crop is eaten.

Its good that you mentioned that they have a dry area to run onto - its vital.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
Strip graze it, and you may need to hoe out the turnips once they have eaten off the tops. Very good grazing.

sillyewe

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13:23 am »
Neeps are great for sheep, we grow about 8 acres of them a year to feed the ewes on the run up to lambing, we just strip graze them and only allow them access to the neeps for about 6 hours in the day.  Make sure that when they are on the neeps that they have an area of grass or something to run back to as it can get real muddy if they are left on the neeps all day.

Prices vary greatly depending on location etc, but I guess as long as you and the grower can both agree on a price that you are both happy with surely thats all that is needed.

Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS