Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help needed - mouldy ham  (Read 2897 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Help needed - mouldy ham
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »
I am attempting to make an air dried ham.  I did this successfully last year but I have just taken this year's leg out of the salt prior to air drying and some of it is covered in a green / grey mould.  i thought something was wrong as I was uncovering it from the salt as it didn't smell 'good'.  Any ideas of whether it is recoverable.  If I cut off the mouldy piece will I need to resalt it or just hang it in a dry, airy place.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Help needed - mouldy ham
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
I'm not a great expert, only having done one successful ham, but I think its quite normal for it to go mouldy on the outside.
If it isn't ready yet I wouldn't cut the mouldy bits off as I think it would just result in another mouldy layer. I would just leave it to hang in an airy place.
Mine had a couple of layers of muslin and was then hung outside under the eaves of the stables.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:41:59 pm »
 Hi,
 Was wandering were you salted your ham, ( inside or outside )only  because there is still flys around in early October,  and if your not careful, the flys can still lay eggs on yr salting curing ham.
I'm not saying this has happened to yours, I hope not, but I would not be curing until end of November just to be on the safe side.
good luck with the hams -  were abouts are you, if you were close I could have had a look.  :thumbsup:
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »
Paul - thanks for the offer but we are in Oxfordshire so a bit far.  I was salting outside but the meat was well covered with none visible so hopefully it isn't fly damage.  I cut off the worse bits and have it hanging outside now in a pillowcase.  Keeping fingers crossed that it is OK.

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:35:44 pm »
Yer you are s bit too far, hope it turns out ok for you, the old fashioned way was too pack the pillowcase with Holly,  so the ham could breath and didn't stick to the pillowcase, wel it was  a muslin sock, anyway im rambling now lol   :-J.
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS