Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf or not?  (Read 3107 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Orf or not?
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:22:35 pm »
I have had 4 or 5 sheep (from a flock of around 80) that have had just one or two sores either on their mouth or just above a hoof.  The sores look like orf but I have been monitoring the problem for over a month and the problem hasn't got worse and hasn't spread to any other sheep, so it doesn't seem to be behaving like orf.

I have never had orf on the farm in 10 years but then a local farmer who has never had orf has also had a similar problem this year (and he has been farming for decades) so it's all a bit bizarre.

So is this orf or is there anything else it could be? Thanks.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Orf or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »
There are some fungal infections that can appear orf-like on a small scale. Have you sprayed with anitibiotic spray?  A couple of our ewe lambs got it last Summer (can't remember the name), despite us running a closed flock and them not coming into contact with any other sheep.  Cleared up in about a month and haven't seen it since.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:28:38 am »
Thanks, yes the antibiotic spray seems to work quite well. My main concern is that I am selling quite a bit of stock at the moment and I don't want to be selling anything that might cause issues for the new owners. Interesting to hear that there are fungal infections that look like orf, hopefully this is all it is.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 04:54:30 pm »
Just remembered it's called dermatophilus congolensis/mycotic dermatitis - same as rain scald in equines.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 09:50:25 pm »
Found this interesting as one of my ewes has had a sore on the back of her hoof for sometime now ( I asked for advice or thoughts on this a couple of weeks ago on the forum I think it was titled 'Sore on back hoof') The vet has said it is Strawberry foot rot, which in some way (I can't remember exactly what he said), but it has the orf virus present, which is why my ewe is itching at her hoof and making it sore. She's had a couple of antibiotic injections, Mycotil and Draxxin, neither of which has helped. I've been spraying her hoof daily with Animeizon. Nothing seemed to be working so the vet suggested Erythrocin, that hasn't worked either. So I'm now trying spraying with Alymycin. The vet has said if none of these work I will have to take her to the surgery and have it cauterised. I wondered if anyone had an thoughts or advice on this. Thank you   
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 01:47:35 pm »
 If you had 2 sheep one with orf on the face and one with lumpy wool ,they look totally different .    ORF     scabs and raw flesh  , irregular shaped  sometimes just a few in the corners of the mouth and at worst all the lips and nose one big bleeding scab , can  affect the legs and ewes teats  .   LUMPY WOOL (mycotic  dermatitis )  is individual  small  grey  not raw  scabs with hair on the top look like small brushes  all over the face   and ears again can affect the legs.                                                                                                                                       STRAWBERRY FOOTROT can be caused by either or both of the above , since they are viruses very difficult to treat, you need to rely on the vet ,  you could try many of the remedies  on this forum for drying up orf they may help but your talking very slow to heal

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 09:03:15 pm »
Thanks for that Shep - it's interesting that you said it takes time to heal. That's what I'm finding. Just not sure about having it cauterised though? I'll see if I can find anything else on drying up orf.
Thank you
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS