Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shelter for sheep?  (Read 10555 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Shelter for sheep?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 07:26:04 am »
My 5 ewe lambs have decided that the vacant pig ark is a good shelter for them.
Anne

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 08:36:26 am »
I agree with all the comments, especially as I have made/am making a couple of shelters for my Castlemilk Moorits...especially for the ram and his companion through the winter.  I have purchased 2 Ifor Williams pick-up canopies from Ebay... one for £50 and one for £25.... and 4 railways sleepers at a bargain price of £6 each... a few boards to fill the gap at the bottom and 8 hook bolts and screw eyes and the result is below, at a cost of about £50 each.  There is plenty of air as we are high up and very windy, and the sleepers will prevent the shelters blowing away!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:35 am »
My Jacobs also use a redundant pig ark but only in the worst weather, their favourite place is an overhang of trees.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 09:23:25 am »
Wombles 'Soweto/Turner Prize' efforts gave me a good laugh.

OK, this should amuse you then!!

I decided that the wooden frame for Soweto had been hanging about for far too long and having tried all the usual places for second hand metal sheets and failed, I figured what the hell, the deadline for the Turner Prize must be coming up shortly anyway!  ;D

So the roof and back is made from wrinkly tin, but I clad the sides with canvas from a cut up builder's bag I rescued from the rubbish pile. Somebody will probably put a horn through it at some point, but I'm happy to give it a try for now - at least it's light!

The whole thing is on two fenceposts which act as skids, with some rope attached so I can tow it around. With a couple of rollers made from old round fenceposts that's easy enough to do myself, or if I'm feeling lazy I can use the Landy.

The sheep haven't used it much yet as they have plenty of shelter in their current field (or perhaps they woudn't be seen dead in it - they are teenagers after all!), but I'm sure they will once they get moved to the other field which has no natural hedges or walls to hide behind.

The other thing I did recently was to put in a scratching rail for the sheep.

I needed a snecking post to hold the gate open anyway (that's what the wee galvanised catch is for), so this just reinforces it and goes at an angle up to a very secure strainer post (variable height you see!  :) ). The idea is that the sheep will choose to rub on this and not destroy the fences - we'll see. It's certainly well used, and seems to reach the parts other scratching posts do not!  ;D

All good fun!!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:25:58 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:21 am »
It blew a gale whilst we re doing the rounds last night, we have the luxury of big huge pembs banks with gorse on it, the ewe lambs were making good use of it, we also have a few vehicles hanging about in some of the fields too, they were also making good use of them, like said above they pick n choose where s best.   We mostly get it from the south west over the top of us. 

The ram lambs have big hawthorn trees and gorse banks in they're fields. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS