Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stock training  (Read 5624 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: stock training
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 10:31:41 pm »
Captain. Good idea to get on it early then. You tend to find that once they start running other game, they often need a good refresher course on stock.

Mind you, no two dogs are the same, of my current two running dogs, one was hellish to break to stock, and just wanted to tackle everything he met from a pup, the other half ran at a sheep once, I raised my voice and she came straight back and has never since (touch wood) ever looked at one.

I live in sheep country, and to chase sheep is a sure fire way for a dog to get shot. I just get the dog out around them as much as possible, from 8 weeks and just work on them becoming part of the back ground and of no interest to the dog.

Sometimes I still have my heart in my mouth, when the daft wooly buggers jump out of a gorse bush on the hill, when the dogs are after something else.

What cross out of interest?

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »
His Mother is a collie greyhound,Father is a Wheaton bull grey hound
and yes I had my two incidents once his drive kicked in about 5 months. He marks rabbits to ground a treat ferreting all ready :) can't fault him works like a 2 year so over the moon in that aspect

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:10 pm »
Haha i'm not surprised he's high drive, with a dose of wheaton. Sounds like a good mix, I like a good collie/bull x.

My young bitch is collie/whip/grey x collie/grey/sal/grey/bull/whip and has been a pleasure to train. In comparison, I could have strangled the whippet many times during his first couple of years.

Glad he's working well for you, if this hot and dry weather ever buggers off it'll be game on  :thumbsup:

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 08:25:45 am »
basically it seems a good working lurcher to lurcher is the way to go I think.
Never seen a wheaten or known much about them just been reading this interesting article
http://irishwheaten.com/?p=89

He certainly hunts like a terrier using his nose non stop all most hound like when he hits a line amazing for a pup his age  but is brainy devil too and fast so should be bang on
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:30:34 am by captainhastings »

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 12:01:06 pm »
Aye, a good lurcher to lurcher bred animal, with a focus on performance rather than looks is the way forward.

However, my whippet is a big lad, and he excels at ferreting, and is one of the best dogs I've ever witnessed for hunting ability. If there is game around, he'll find it, rise it and usually catch it.

I've spent a bit of time around wheatens and they are great dogs. However, not for the faint hearted, they can often be extremely dog aggressive, and dry driven. Bit of a handful at times. They were originally bred as a strong dog, for drawing quarry after a dig, and for working badger (pre ban in 1970's).

Before the more recent ban, wheaten x greys were a very popular vermin dog for hunting fox day and night.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS