Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hope this works  (Read 4176 times)

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
Hope this works
« on: December 09, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »
Hi,
This is sort of an English language out-let for me then. I'm living in the Netherlands for, oh 12 years now after moving here from the United States of America. I'm a cabinetmaker by training, but as this is house #2 here in the area that I'm now renovating I'm feeling more like a carpenter. While the house and land here were once well cared for it has all been neglected for some years now and, with regards to the land in particular I think it's needing some pretty basic care to get it regenerating.
Greetings

Don

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Re: Hope this works
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:47:30 pm »
Invite us all out to help you dig it.We could meet in the netherlands instead of Scotland! Welcome to the forum.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »
Great idea, Sheila - welcome to the forum, Donald - that's a Scottish name, you must have roots here too?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:05 pm »
Yep, I have Scottish roots. Macdonald family I believe.

Greetings
Don

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:35 pm »
Hello and welcome Donald
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:40 pm »
Yep, I have Scottish roots. Macdonald family I believe.

Greetings
Don

Then somewhere away back in the mists of time we may be related!  My grandfather's surname was Donald and was a member of Clan Ranald - a sect of Clan MacDonald.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:58:26 am »
Hi and welcome.  Get some pigs, they will rotivate and fertilise the land for you. :pig: :pig: :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:20 am »
Hello Don and welcome from me in South Lanarkshire  ;D
Look forward to hearing more about how you are getting on.
Karen x

sandy

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:19:52 am »
Hi and welcom from the Wee County...loads of us on here!!!! Could use your skills!!!! Sounds like you've moved around a bit, thats great...look farward to hearing what you decide to do. We had a very overgrown allotment once but gave up clearing it, certainly will keep you fit and busy!!!

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:12 am »
Hi,
I'm curious about these pigs then. What might this entail? How much feed do they need? I have an ideal chimney for smoking but then I don't eat meat. Do pigs require stout fencing? Pigs are totally invisible in these parts although there are plenty around. I want to look into this idea.
Greetings
Don

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:45:31 am »
Hi and welcome. Pigs are fabulous ploughs especially a breed like teh Tamworth. Some info on the TAS site proper and on these forums.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:10:44 pm »
Hi as a pigaholic you are probably asking the wrong person.  We use electric fencing, feed the pigs on compound pig feed (less in summer than winter) they supplement their food intake with roots, weeds, grass well if it grows they probably eat it.  They will rotivate the ground over winter, provide you with fantastic ham at the end.  I know of at least one vegetarian who will now eat free range pork.  Warning pigs are totally addictive!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »
  I know of at least one vegetarian who will now eat free range pork.
Huh??!!

Hello and welcome Don, from Derbyshire.
And yes, it worked!
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 08:30:07 am »
  I know of at least one vegetarian who will now eat free range pork.
Huh??!!

Honestly, and another who demanded a crackling sandwich.  Not sure how that works!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:52:39 am by Hilarysmum »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 05:10:46 pm »
My pal is a vegetarian but cooks meat for her non veggie kids.  They have roast chicken and she makes lovely gravy, then pours the gravy over her veggie sausages lol pmsl

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS