Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In Season?  (Read 1995 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
In Season?
« on: September 28, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »
Hi
 Is there any way to tell if a ewe is in season/heat. As I'm going to have to rent a ram for my Zwartbles and my hebs I will only have a limited amount of time to have him in and will have to make sure I get it right. I have weighed the Zwartbles ewe lambs and they are all over 55kg and up to 65kg so a reasonable weight. Then the hebs are mature and have both lambed before so am giving a handful of ewe nuts a day and have full access to a crystalx. So is there any way to tell or is it just luck there is a wether in with them that will be going for meat soon.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: In Season?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »
Without a male around then sorry no way ,   normally it is based on when the spring grass grows to produce milk so lets say the grass in your area starts early april as an ave then you can start lambing  mid march ,  if you are willing to feed lots of  hay and concs then you can  lamb anytime .   The weather is a factor if you wish to lamb outside the warmer /dryer the better but again if you have sheds /shelter then you can lamb earlier .     Around your area a lot of lambs   march /april .           If you ask the seller of your hebs then you will know when they've lambed in previous years and this will provide you with a fair idea of when they are cycling ,    ewe lambs and primatives are normally late to cycle

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re: In Season?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »
ok thanks I think that it was november for the hebs but wasn't too sure about the zwartbles ewe lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS