Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Hen laying in bushes  (Read 1241 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Broody Hen laying in bushes
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »
I have a broody hen (YAY! Duck eggs on order!) but she's laying in a thicket in our top field. I've found 8 eggs so far (tested them in water, none floated so I gave half a dozen to the neighbour, marked the other 2 and put them back as she became quite distressed when I took them away)
How do I get her to sit on them inside the shed (where they have a bit more protection from the elements)? I'm quite new to keeping chickens and would appreciate any hints you can give me. I'd love to hatch some of her eggs as well as the duck eggs as our two cockerills (and our 7 girls) are show standard and fantastic specimens of their breed.

Failing that, can anyone tell me where I can get a cheap incubator?

If I were to sell my hatched chicks would that make me a breeder? Are there any guidelines I need to stick to should this be the case? Or is it a matter of volume? Obviously I don't want this to be large scale, just maybe a few here and there...

If anyone nearby needs loan of a Maran cockerill (7 teeth to his comb, very good specimen) in exchange for loan of an Incubator then maybe we could come to some arrangement?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS