Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Japanese Knotweed  (Read 10921 times)

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Japanese Knotweed
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:37:22 pm »
Hi folks, does anyone have any experience of pigs on japanese knotweed.  We have been sucessful in using our Tamworths to clear bracken from a part of our woodland and wondered if the same wood apply to the dreaded JK?  Winter seems to be the best time for bracken and although the bracken can be toxic they don't seem to eat the roots (but expose them to the frost and trample all over them - ideal when the shoots start to pop up in spring).  They must have plenty of fresh water though.

Would appreciate any experiences that anyone has with the knotweed and pigs.

:pig:
Carol

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Japanese Knotweed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »
I've had a quick look around the net because i was interested too,mainly as a cash crop. There seems to be conflicting evidence...... There are some people who grow it to eat,apparently like rhubarb....... and there are some that say the roots poison neighbouring plants,whether this "poison" would be dangerous to animals is debatable as it specifically targets vegetation rather than animals.
 The overwhelming majority of sites and links I could find,suggest that every part of the plant is edible and see no real concern by letting the piggies forage on it.  Here's a link,will be interesting to know what you think.... http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Knotweed.html
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:03 pm »
Treat Japanese knotweed same as bracken.  Pigs wont eat it if they dont like it.  Hilary hates pampass grass with a passion.  Our very fine specimen was removed roots and all when she last went on the rampage.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:29:42 am »
Agree with above, whilst you do not have to remove it, it is illegal to do anything which allows it to spread (which would include allowing pieces of cut stem to spread and propogate, or not disposing of the cut fronds properly) - the EA have some good general guidance  http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/wildlife/130079.aspx#What_to_do_if_you_see_Japanese_knotweed

Its a real menace, which needs to be controlled mindfully.  I think pigs would be about the worst case scenario for knotweed control (up with a flail mower?).  I know we were hoping they would help to reduce bracken in an area that we had them on last year - but it is about 4 times worse this year, I'm sure they have just spread the roots around!!!!  I once worked in a woodland where knotweed had got control and it was a VERY expensive and time hungry job keeping on top of it  - Good luck and hope you manage to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:31:56 am by FiB »

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:41 am »
Don't know about the pigs but Loram 24 is the approved herbicide

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/Tree-Stump-Woody-Weeds/Loram-24-1LT/prod_117.html

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »
Don't know about the pigs but Loram 24 is the approved herbicide

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/Tree-Stump-Woody-Weeds/Loram-24-1LT/prod_117.html

Or for Knotweed you can also use the following products:

Kaskara (in grassland)
Frontsweep (Kills everything)
Roundup Probiactive (kills everything)

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:59:23 am »
Hi Carol,
I have done quite a bit of work on a number of patches of Japanese knotweed around our land - repeated spraying with high strength round-up over the last 2 years. There is still minor activity - small fronds thrown up in most places. I do not think this is killing the tubers and there will always be the potential for regrowth - I believe the area where it has previously grown should be left uncultivated as this can promaote reactivation.
As far as I know it is edible and from that point of view pigs would be ok, but I would be concerned as above that the growth of the knotweed would be spread throughout the area that the pigs are on, as regrowth can happen from the smallest fragments.
On my land I am not sure of the origin of the various patches but can only assume small fragments have been carried by birds animals boots or dumped from wheelbarrows and then set up a new colony. It may have been brought into the land in Victorian times deliberately but its positioning does not suggest this and there are many wayside and riverside patches in the wider area near us.
Its not supposed to seed but you sometimes wonder.
Bad plant.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »
I was looking into this - the answers I got say it can be grazed, but that pigs tend to spread it around. I suppose that if you keep the pigs on the land long term, then they'll eventually kill it off by rooting it up every time it tries to grow.

most of my knotweed is by the stream - bits fall of plants upstream and it spreads that way - but it stops at the stock fence as the weed on this side gets eaten by the cows.

m

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:10 am »
I was hoping pigs would eat it, but they don't. They are rooting it up though (which will probably mean it will be worse next year than ever!!).  The only thing to kill it is herbicides unfortunately and you need to do it for several years running or else it just comes back.  I think something like 60% of it is underground and yes, it posions other plants underground.

Mr Ree - not sure about it being a cash crop!  It is illegal to plant it!  Looks a bit like rhubarb and has sometimes has the name of "Monk's Rhubarb", but if pigs won't eat it, I'm surprised that humans do!!

1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS