Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lifting grazing restrictions  (Read 3539 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
lifting grazing restrictions
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »
hello all, I know there are a few donkey people here on TAS  :wave:
Wondering what everybody does regarding restricting grazing in summer, or rather, when do you lift grazing restrictions as autumn rolls in?
My two have been on a track system since April and it's kept them really trim all summer, and they seemed happy enough. But now not sure when I should give them the run of the whole field again. It has only rained here once in 5 weeks, so while there is still a lot of grass about (3 acres, quite rough in parts, sharing with flock of Soay sheep) the grass is looking rather 'old' now.
I'd love to let them run around as they please again, but worried it might still be too early? (this was my first summer with them.

As ever, thank you for any advice!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: lifting grazing restrictions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »
As long as it is warm the grass will keep growing. I still have my ponies on restricted grazing. this time of year can be as bad as the Spring not worth the risk I think.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »
agreed-its the stuff at the bottom, new growth that is the problem. I always have foggage in my pony fields but I never take it for granted until after xmas tbh, weather dependant. You will find that if you do get some showers soon, it will really spurt in growth.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:39:53 pm »
I have had 3 brand new laminitis cases in the last 10 days so id say certainly don't lift their grazing restrictions yet ,also in my 20 + years shoeing some of the worst cases have been autumn flush laminitics !!!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:05:24 pm »
Thank you all, just the kind of advice I was hoping for.
Being new to all this I find myself constantly torn between thinking I'm worrying too much or worrying not enough... hearing about your experiences is immensely helpful  :thumbsup:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:40:44 pm »
I don't restrict my donkeys and mule.
But I usually put a bale of straw in the field, even when there's plenty of grass. They eat loads of straw, so presumably, given the choice, are quite good at balancing their fibre/nutition levels.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:44 pm »
Mine eat plenty of straw too, I keep the straw topped up in their shelter all day which they can access anytime.
I'd love to let them roam the 3 acres freely all year and it's interesting that this works for you LLR. As I'm still a beginner I feel I need to take it slowly and get to know them a bit better first - next week is the first anniversary of their arrival  :)
The track has certainly worked well, and they are fit and have been happy enough all summer - whenever they seem a bit 'grumpy' I move the fence line a bit and that seems to be exactly what they wanted. I'll probably hold on to it another couple of weeks till the end of the month, assuming the cooler weather will stay.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:01:59 pm »
I wish mine would stay trim if fed ad lib straw along with grazing but they still seek out the sweet grass and pile on the weight.  Two of mine still have to be restricted all winter, it must be the native pony genes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS