Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel with rattle noise / noisy breathing  (Read 2254 times)

Dagirlie

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
cockerel with rattle noise / noisy breathing
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:50:36 pm »
Hi.
I have noticed that our cockerels breathing is very noisy and that it sounds like a loud rattle.
I recently noticed this and don't know what it is wrong.
He looks, sounds and acts normally.
Does anyone know what that can be? and how I can treat it?

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: cockerel with rattle noise / noisy breathing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 01:36:38 pm »
Have you just the one  bird or is he in with a flock?  Could possibly be infectious bronchitis.  Look this up on the web and it will give you all the info and symptoms.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »
I'd say a respiratory infection is most likely. In our experience cockerels are most prone. Can be caused by dust in the coop or by condensation or wet bedding causing fungal growth and the release of spores. We had a cockerel that needed a double dose of Baytril for 10 days to clear it. Poor ventilation in the coop can be a reason (was in his case). Also coops with parts made of plywood or plastic because they don't 'breathe'.

You need to act quickly Dagirlie, because permanent lung damage can result from respiratory infections and they they are always prone to them. Clean out the coop thoroughly and wash any suspect mould areas with poultry shield (don't use Jeyes Fluid -the fumes are too toxic). Put in dust extracted and dry bedding. Mostly these things clear up on their own within 48 hours if that's the problem. If he gets worse though you will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Dagirlie

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:53 pm »
Thank you both for your replies and advice
He's in with a few hens - but none of them has got the rattle noise / noisy breathing.
They all walk around where ever they please all day long and are only in their pen and coop during the night.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:04:05 am »
Our cockerel was only in the coop at night Dagirlie. His hens were fine as well.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:50 pm »
l have an old hen that rattles none of the others are affected

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS