Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Books  (Read 4863 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Books
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:24:34 pm »
Inspired by a post in the sheep section, I thought I'd ask what are the best Chicken / Poultry books you know of. I've been buying lots of smallholding books and food growing / preserving books but I'd like to get swotting on the animal side of things too while we're waiting to find our perfect smallholding.

We're planning on having Chickens, Guinea Fowl, Ducks and eventually Geese and Quail.

:excited:

Off to post the same thing in the pig section  ;D
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:41:50 pm »
You'll find a selection here, based on our experiences and recommendations from other TAS members:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/category/poultry/

If anyone has any to add please let me know.  :)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:12:46 pm »
Haynes is good for chickens but doesn't cover waterfowl in detail - in fact waterfowl is missing from the list Dan. Chris Ashton does some great books on waterfowl. This book is my absolute bible for geese:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeping-Geese-Management-Chris-Ashton/dp/1847973361/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412367109&sr=1-1&keywords=keeping+geese

I've got this one for ducks and geese too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Choosing-Keeping-Ducks-Geese-Wright/dp/1856753018/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412367058&sr=1-13&keywords=keeping+ducks

Haven't looked at it recently but remember it being useful to being with!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:47:15 pm »
The Haynes chicken manual was my bible when I first purchased hens. With no idea where to start or what was required this was great. It gives daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal tasks to keeping them happy and healthy, which I followed to the letter until I could make choices on my own hens needs.
It has help in choosing what you want right through to hatching eggs and dispatching and dressing surplus which I vowed I'd never need. Then 2 years on was sooooo glad for the detailed pictures and chapters.

River cottage handbook 11. Chicken and eggs, is also a very good book which I still read along with the Haynes. It goes into more detail of finding your own needs and gives in depth information so you can follow your chicken keeping path.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:51:58 am »
The absolute 'must have' book for chicken keeping, which isn't on the TAS list, is 'Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens' by Gail Damerow. If you only buy one book on chicken keeping, this is the one to have.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »
Thanks guys! Just the info I was looking for.  :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be keeping the postman busy for a while.

Still looking for a good guinea fowl book if anyone has any recommendations  :fc:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »
"small scale poultry-keeping" - Ray Feltwell
excellent for breeding.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:11:47 pm »
Ussery - The Small Scale Poultry Flock is brilliant
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS