Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel Collars  (Read 16203 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Cockerel Collars
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »
This should make for an interesting debate!  :innocent:

Cockerel collars :

Has anyone tried them?

I can't keep cockerels due to the noise/neighbours but I have now had two cockerels outside for the last two months wearing these collars and it definitely works noise wise.

I saw them a while ago on some American sites but just now got round to trying them.

They still crow but its at the same volume as the hens cackling, its nothing like a full blown Cockadoodledoo!

For anyone that doesn't know about them its just a velcro collar that attaches around the lower half of the neck, its fitted snugly, its not tight or constricting, one of mine tried to back out of it for a bit but the other one didn't bother with it at all.

It works by restricting the amount of air that can be expelled when they crow, it allows them to eat and breath as normal, the only difference is when they crow.

They still make all the other noises cockerels make as normal.

Now I have tried this and it definitely works, my concern now is that it within the UK it may not be legal and possibly regarded as cruel.

It may be against the Welfare guidelines where it states the birds should have freedom to exhibit natural behaviour.

As I said, they do still actually crow, its just not very loud, whether this is a removal of natural behaviour or not remains to be seen.

Its fine in most other countries but I've been asking around the various agencies over here and no one knows, most have never heard of them so still waiting to hear back.

Its a velcro collar so it will undo if it gets caught in something, similar to collars for cats so thats not an issue.

Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34eFiQ1p-hw

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Cockerel Collars
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:57:58 pm »
hmm, not sure although I don't have sound on my PC right now. I don't think its cruel as they can still display the behaviour-actually think its better than some of the anti-bark collars you can get for dogs.

Dont tell my other half, I currently have 5 cockerels in the back garden and planning on keeping three back there over the winter :D

who are you going to ask? I would avoid the RSPCA/SSPCA personally and try and find a high ranking poultry vet first.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
I've sent emails off to RSPCA, DEFRA and the council animal health dept, so far it looks like none of them know what i'm talking about.  :innocent:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
lol-what exactly did you put in the subject heading of the email?  ;D

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:13 pm »
Yeah i've already been there!!

Cockerel crowing collars I used eventually

You need to be VERY careful Googling these!!  :innocent:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
I like that, seems to work and doesnt appear to trouble the bird.

I would probably put it on (the cockerel)  late at night and take it off during the day.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
I can't take it off through they day here, i have neighbours either side and at the back, some with young children, a cockerel would be just too loud for me

I did ask everyone once if I could trial it for a week but it echoes around the building and sounds even worse than normal!

We came to unanimous decision that it was not a good idea!  ;D

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »
Here's a link to the No Crow collar that was patented in the USA

http://nocrowroostercollars.com

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 02:24:49 pm »
Oh lord I did giggle a bit - the clip on the above website when the poor cockerel tries to crow.
http://nocrowroostercollars.com/pages/faqs
Seems a bit mean.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:15 am »
It's a good idea. Not sure how much of a mess it makes of neck feathers. Can't see it being at all practical during the moult though. But what's the point of having a cockerel if it can't crow?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:07 am »
But what's the point of having a cockerel if it can't crow?

You need a cockerel to breed chickens ;D

The feather thing was something that concerned me, but once its actually fitted it works very well, all the feathers inside the top edge of the collar are just held flat by the collar, the feathers above the top edge hang naturally over the top of it.

The two birds I have just now are just finishing a moult and the neck feathers are growing in just now and it doesn't appear to cause them any problem, every time I check everything looks normal.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 10:38:39 am »
Finally got round to taking a video of one of my Scots Grey cockerels!

I have four of them in breeding pens just now and this is the loudest of the four, two of them are almost silent.

The noise this one makes wearing the collar sets the turkeys off though, which is worse than the cockerel crowing! :)

Hard to tell from the video but he's a lot quieter than either the turkeys or the male quail

No Crow Collar

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »
 Dont tell my other half, I currently have 5 cockerels in the back garden and planning on keeping three back there over the winter :D

You could buy an extra collar then you won't hear your OH complaining about your cockerels!!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »
I have four atm, one of which I must dispatch this week. Typically though, its the smallest one that makes to most noise so I am tempted by these. Once I get home, I'll have a look at them in action.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
I bought a length of sticky backed velcro, it comes in two parts, the velcro strip and the fluffy strip it sticks to.

I peeled the backing off both strips and stuck them back to back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS