Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heat lamps & brooder  (Read 1687 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Heat lamps & brooder
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:33:07 am »
I am getting ready for hatching and have a disused rabbit hutch with welded mesh run for the new birds. I am hatching 15 eggs so hopefully there will be 10-12 birds.  The hutch is the separated into the  2 usual spaces- the sleeping space- approx 1x1x1 ft and the open part is approx 1x1x2 1/2 ft long. Then the run is appox 4ft x 3ft. I am hoping that it will do as a brooder for a little while. 

Can anyone advise me on heat lamps- what size do i need and what temperature am i trying to achieve. I've looked into the brooders you get and it seems that they allow the bird to move out into the open if they get to warm and move back into the heat if they get cold.

Declan

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Heat lamps & brooder
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:28 am »
Like you, I use a big box and a run. I have it indoors (the garage) until they go off the lamp at about 3-4 weeks for ease of electricity supply. I use a red bulb as it's kinder on the chicks - it's easier to sleep under it than under a white bulb. The light's on a chain and I raise it up and down depending on the chicks - if they are huddled together they are too cold and I lower it, if they are all spread out, I raise it. I keep them in the box - it's about a metre square for a week or so before letting them into the run and I shut them in under the light at night, with food and water. Don't underestimate how small a mesh they can get through or how easily "lost" they get when they are tiny. If they wander too far from the light, they can't find their way back and die.

Good luck with your hatching - it's great fun!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS