Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A dog and a hawk  (Read 2203 times)

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
A dog and a hawk
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:00 am »
We had a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday here at my place in the states...with a couple of exceptions.

I had let my chickens out to forage in the morning.  It was such a bright and clear day and the clover was calling.

Afterwards, walking to the back...there was a dog in my backyard!  In a flash I was out the door bare footed in my short pants chasing the dog which had begun to chase my chickens.  Chickens, dog and I all crashed into the brush.  The dog was caught by it's owner (it had broken it's leash) and the chickens had evaded into the brush and briars.  I was the one worse for wear as my legs were bleeding from encounters with our cat briars.  Oh well.

Later, the chickens reassembled out of the brush back to doing what chickens do.  Two hours passed.

I heard the alarm.  What now?  As I walked toward my chickens a large hawk flew away and there on the ground lay one of my hens.  It just wasn't her day.  She's now fertilizer for next years vegetables.

The chickens are now locked up unless I am in the yard with them.
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: A dog and a hawk
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:40:27 am »
Shame.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:37:04 am »
I disturbed a sparrow hawk in my back garden last week - fortunately it was a large pigeon it had but I'm letting my dogs out regularly to ensure it knows there is another predator ruling the area and that it should clear off!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:21:43 pm »
my husband called me to come look at a sparrow hawk which had downed a magpie. As we watched another magpie came and rescued it's mate . They both flew off leaving the hawk looking a bit miffed!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:22:45 pm »
Insert Quote
my husband called me to come look at a sparrow hawk which had downed a magpie. As we watched another magpie came and rescued it's mate . They both flew off leaving the hawk looking a bit miffed!

I always knew pigeons had no loyalty gene  ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »
 a sparrow hawk took 3 of our ducklings but nothing bigger. I saw an eagle once which did not stop by (thank goodness) and the ospreys in the neighbourhood seem really just to be interested in fish.
pigeons, Annie???
It's more the canine predators I'm concerned about, foxes across the road and neighbours' dog checking out his (imaginary) territory... :&> :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:56:36 am »
pigeons, Annie???

Aye, doos, far I cam fae.  It wis a deid een.  Weel affa near deid.  I hid ti bang it's heid up aginst the sheddie afore I bunged it in the wheelie. ;D ;D ;D ;D  And bloody big doos an aw!  Pardon my french!  I think tehy must be pinching my chicken food as they are always hungry no matter how much I put down for them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS