Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sore skin folds?  (Read 1791 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
sore skin folds?
« on: September 28, 2014, 02:00:44 pm »
I was trimming my Soay ram's feet today and while he was on his back I noticed the skin between his back thighs and his scrotum looks crusty and sore. Looked quite nasty at first but on closer inspection (got kicked on the chin in the process...) the skin is not actually broken just crusty. I put some antiseptic spray on it but not sure what else I could or should do.
I think the skin in this area just folds into itself when he is standing/walking so maybe some friction there is normal/common, and I'm worrying about nothing? Anybody else has noticed this with their sheep?

(sorry if anybody read a strange unfinished version of the post, writing this on a train and the internet connection is a bit wonky...)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:12:43 pm by ladyK »
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: sore skin folds?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:11:16 pm »

Maybe a photo would help?
Sheep do produce a waxy, dirty looking exudate there, in the skin fold, but it's perfectly normal.  If this is above and beyond that, then we'd need the pic to identify it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »
Thanks FW, it helps to know that dirty looking 'stuff' is normal there. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Didn't have a hand free for a photo, it took me a bit by surprise, will try again with some help, tomorrow hopefully.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
Sheep do produce a waxy, dirty looking exudate there

I was wondering about that too - I take it they're lanolin glands?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »
Didn't somones rams have some kind of mite or something n the scrotum that caused a nasty reaction? They posted about it a while back sorry I can't remember for the life of me who it was.   
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:47:07 pm »
LOts of grease & wax in the groin is a sign that testosterone levels are rising. The skin in white tups goes pink/red as well. Its a useful guide as to when they're ready to start tupping

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:28:13 am »
LOts of grease & wax in the groin is a sign that testosterone levels are rising. The skin in white tups goes pink/red as well.

Aaah, that explains a few things... My tup has piebald markings (he really is a gorgeous boy) and most of his underside is white.  The skin looked very pink and greasy/crusty around the groin area - so maybe he's not sore at all, just 'hot'.
I'll check him again just to be sure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS