Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lame already!  (Read 5226 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
lame already!
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:33:52 pm »
So I have a ewe lamb hopping lame already. Arrived Thursday, been dosed, dipped, foot bathed before coming to me. Parts of the field are quite stubbly and have a few thistle type plants in places. My issue is I can't get any hurdles until Monday and I'm at work until Monday afternoon so it doesn't give me much time during the days I'm at work, going to try make a make shift pen tonight and catch them. What is the best course of action? I have foot spray handy, should they go onto a footvax system?. Also one has a cough and I'm panicking about this too, and then odd ones has a dirty bum   ::)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: lame already!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:51:51 pm »
Could have a touch of scald.  Antibiotic spray I d use x

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »
I'd tip them all over and look at their feet, you are looking for either redness / whiteness between the hooves, or a nasty smell. It will usually either be scald or foot rot (the latter being the same thing but worse). If it is mild, I would give them a spray, if in any doubt, i'd give it a shot of alamycin, and spray, it should clear up in five days max, usually gets better in 2 or 3. Don't be tempted to trim it, unless it's desperate, you will often make it worse.

While they are in, i'd collect some faeces samples from some of the scourers and have an FEC count done, that way, you will know if they have a worm burden or not.

R.E the coughing, could be something, or nothing, How bad is it, and how regular?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »
Dirty bums are normal when they have moved to different pasture, plus there is a bit of a grass growth spurt at the moment and lots of sheep have dirty bums.  That should clear up in a week or so. If they were wormed before coming to you - don't do them again!  See also if the cough clears up in a couple of days - as long as she is looking bright and eating OK don't worry too much.  If she is doing an Eyeore impression (head down looking miserable) then there may be something more sinister. 

If they have been footbathed they shouldn't have scald again so soon.  Do you trust that all these procedures were actually done before you got them?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:42 pm »
Plan is to gather them in tomorrow once I've made a make shift pen  :fc:. Cough only seems apparent after she's run and is contionious for a short period, will have a closer inspection tomorrow and sort out the lame one.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
been dosed, dipped, foot bathed before coming to me.

personally i wouldnt believe anything a buyer says, and treat them all yourself, that way you know they have been done right.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:59 am »
Plan is to gather them in tomorrow once I've made a make shift pen  :fc:. Cough only seems apparent after she's run and is contionious for a short period, will have a closer inspection tomorrow and sort out the lame one.

How old is the girl that is coughing? Just maybe think about Jaagsiekte - google it and maybe talk to your vet.

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:49:24 am »
She was February born. I'm planning to put them on heptavac and worm them, taking things with a pinch of salt!

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:21:08 am »
Managed to get a few into my pen (which didn't stand up to much!), no foot rot in any, overgrown feet and one of them lame so Itrimmed her back a bit. Should iI be trimming them all or just any slightly lame?. Purchased 20 6ft hurdles this evening so round two is Sunday and hopefully I can contain them all!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40:32 am »
She was February born. I'm planning to put them on heptavac and worm them, taking things with a pinch of salt!

Ah, I had assumed that they were vaccinated. Do the vaccination as soon as possible, and it's a double dose of 2ml per sheep 4 weeks apart. Injection under the skin only.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
Just remember shepherds never sell their very best stock!  We were lucky and took on a whole flock to begin with, so we got the good, the bad and the ugly, and have culled ruthlessly ever since. 

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:41 am »
They have apparently been done with ovivac but again taking it with a pinch of salt! Anything lame now that is a persistent problem will definitley be culled

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS