Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Issues introducting new ducks to group  (Read 1695 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Issues introducting new ducks to group
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:02:15 pm »
I'm still having issues with my ducks. I've got 1 drake just over a year old who up until this year lived with 2 females absolutely fine. Very fertile and I hatched out a really nice set of ducklings from them.

Unfortunately the fox had one of my original 2 females which left the drake with 1 female. When the females from the hatch were big enough I put them out with the drake and older duck approx. a month ago. He was very umm keen shall we say and quickly pulled the feathers from their necks and made their necks pink. I separated him for 2 weeks and have tried again but he's done the same thing. The minute the young ducks try to go over to one of the 3 water drinkers he is in there like a shot and they run off. The older duck is fine and stays with the drake.

At a bit of a loss what to do... I don't really want to get rid of him as he's such a nice drake and he didn't do this when I introduced him to the 2 ducks last year, but for some reason he's too keen and now when he advances the 3 young ducks run off. I would have thought after a month they would have settled down?  :thinking:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Issues introducting new ducks to group
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:15:02 pm »
Teenage sex drive i suspect!   :innocent: Wait till the  youngsters are a bit older and try again.  :fc:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »
Is it okay for him to mate with his daughters? (Excuse my ignorance, never had ducks before but hoping to get some soon!)
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »
Apparently it's ok. I'm on the look out for a white Campbell to swap but no one locally has any :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS