Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken "afterlife"  (Read 1628 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Chicken "afterlife"
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:46:30 am »
I am confused!!

I am in the process of gradually dispatching our "crop" of cockerels from this year's hatches. I have been plucking, gutting and jointing them immediately after despatch because if I leave them to hang then they get rigor mortis, don't do so well in the plucker and gutting them is like trying to fish something out of the inside of a violin.

I understand that if I leave them hang for long enough, the rigor mortis resolves.

Can anybody advise on this and give me some kind of timeline with regard to how long they could/should hang for?

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Chicken "afterlife"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:08 am »
I kill then immediately pluck while warm. Leave to 'hang' in the fridge for 2-5 days depending on when I get time to dress.  Don't know how long for rigor to wear off as one is waiting dressing from Saturday and is stiff. Hoping I'll  get him done tonight. To be honest I haven't taken notice as to whether they just stay stiff or not  ???

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:09 am »
at normal room temperatures rigor should set in within 2-3 hours and last for 24-48 hours.

the time is effected by ambient temperature so can last longer if refrigerated or hung in a nice cool outhouse etc...

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:20 pm »
I've hung them at (autumn) room (shed) temps for 3 or so days and they are easy to draw then. The meat is far better if you hang for a while. I did experiment with scalding them which made plucking 100 times easier but then you have a warm chicken so I think if I was going to hang it back up, I would want to do so in a fridge.

I suspect my ultimate method will be to source and old but working tall fridge and then kill, bleed, scald, pluck, hang in fridge for 5 or so days then draw and dress for the freezer / eating.

This year I have managed to pick up an old Burco boiler cheap which I hope will allow me to keep the scalding temp constant rather than having to re-heat for each bird.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS