Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beeswax Polish Question  (Read 7076 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Beeswax Polish Question
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:19:01 pm »
No idea whether this is the right place to ask but I'll give it a go.

I want to make some beeswax polish from my beeswax. The recipe calls for turpentine. I went into B&Q to buy the other day and all they had was turpentine substitute. I exasperated the (useless) sales ladies by insisting on knowing what that meant (having been told 'it's exactly the same' 'why's it called substitute then?' 'I dunno') and eventually they came up with the answer that it's the same except now it doesn't have arsenic in it. I've just seen a recipe that explicitly says to use turps and not substitute but seems like it's hard to get hold of and I'm not sure what arsenic is going to add of value to my polish. So do I have to track down pure turps or can I use what I've got?

Thanks!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Beeswax Polish Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:19:18 pm »
Hester,
Great minds think alike
I have just been cleaning the bees wax this morning to make polish. Turps substitute and Turps are not the same thing. I wish they were as the substitute is much cheaper. I have just bought pure turpentine from a local ironmongers shop. You know, the old fashioned type of shop. It cost me £10.99 for a litre.
You can see a picture of it in this link but its out of stock on Amazon. There are other makes though. Mayland is one I have seen
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberon-Pure-Turpentine-1-Litre/dp/B001GU2E3E

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:18 pm »
Thanks! Now bidding on eBay. I do know a traditional ironmongers but would require a special trip on the off chance so I'll try this instead!

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
I make my own beeswax polish and to be honest turpentine stinks. I use walnut oil and beeswax, no nasty smell and is kind to hands and wood.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:18:03 pm »
Ah interesting - so is it anything that softens the wax? What does turps add that makes it special? Looking at lip balms at the same time and have almond oil lined up for that - suddenly the two don't seem so far apart!

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »
Can you share the recipes (both for polsh and lip balms)? I've got a load of beeswax to find uses for this year...

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:52:46 pm »
For lip balms, I'm trying the first one on this page:

http://www.natural-soap-making.com/beeswax-lip-balm-recipe.html

with the almond oil but mostly because I've just found some almond oil in the cupboard which has been hanging about for a while and it needs honey which I also have no shortage of! My friend who makes lip balms in a more serious way says olive oil is as good a place as any to start for a beeswax blend.

All the recipes for beeswax polish I've seen call for a 50:50 mix of melted beeswax and turps but don't mix them over an open flame otherwise the whole lot will go up. So melt the beeswax first and then blend in the turps. Here's the recipe I came across yesterday: http://www.honeyshop.co.uk/Polish1.htm

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »
I make my own beeswax polish and to be honest turpentine stinks. I use walnut oil and beeswax, no nasty smell and is kind to hands and wood.
I love the smell of real turps  ;D . It's a good old fashioned polish smell

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:44:30 pm »
Can you share the recipes (both for polsh and lip balms)? I've got a load of beeswax to find uses for this year...

You will need to read up on the regs for cosmetics there are a lot of them, making the stuff is the easy bit, the paperwork side is a nightmare.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »
Only a nightmare if you're going to sell them. I'm just going to use it at home - or if it's nice enough give it as gifts - no paperwork needed.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:58 am »
Only a nightmare if you're going to sell them. I'm just going to use it at home - or if it's nice enough give it as gifts - no paperwork needed.
Anything for cosmetic use is a nightmare if you intend to sell, but I only do the same as Hester. [size=78%] All my friends loved it though. I put some flavouring in, lemon, honey and vanilla and one other but can't remember what that was. [/size]
In 2015 there are a load of regulations coming in about polish too. You will need 4 different pictorial warnings on each tin/pot. Where on earth they all supposed to fit I have no idea.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:15:48 pm »
Just made my polish and it's hardening off as we speak. It smells lovely. Hopefully I will be able to use some later today. OH will wonder what has come over me, polishing things  ;D

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »
What did you use to make it after?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:44 pm »
I have done 2 lots. The first with bees wax, carnauba wax and turps. It is too hard so need to melt it down again and add more turps.
The second one was turps with grated wax. It's like a soft cream but is quite nice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS