Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a true accidental smallholder  (Read 7480 times)

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
a true accidental smallholder
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:48:32 am »
Hi everyone
         my name is Ronnie i am english 43 by trade a gas, heating and solar energy engineer and for one reason or another i find myself in ukraine with my wife (who is ukrainian). We are fortunate enough to find ourselves in the position of having a small farm of about 3 hectares and although too late for this year we intend to make good and live off the land next year. Any advice and ideas will be gratefully received.  :) can i also say that i was born on a farm of about 40 hectares so i have a little understanding of certain things.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:06:05 pm by rbno22 »
Legio Patria Nostre

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: a true accidental smallholder
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:48 am »
Hello and welcome Ronnie, I wish you luck with your venture. What is your weather like just now?

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:27 am »
hi well the weather is cool but not freezing yet although it will be very soon! what about you?
Legio Patria Nostre

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »
It is very cold and very wet and damp. Many of the fields are flooded still, we had a hard frost a few days ao which dried the paddocks up but again the rain is back and we are back to more mud. I don't mind the cold but hate the rain, still a month today and I am off to warmer parts for 3 weeks. Even my animals are bored with the mud and the rain.

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »
yes i know that feeling wet or cold but not both together !
Legio Patria Nostre

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »
Hi and welcome, will enjoy hearing about your new venture.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
Hello and welcome from a cold, but sunny North Devon.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
Hi and welcome from a cold and damp Clackmannanshire

sandy

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:31 am »
 :DHELLO!!! great for you to have a change in career...working on the land is so rewarding, not financially as you will know but great for heath and wellbeing...at one with the earth!!! very Hippy!!! ;)Welcome fro the wee shires!!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:29 am »
Hi there, sounds exciting. Do you get very cold winters and hot summers? and the big question;- can you grow tomatoes outdoors?
kirsty

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:23:29 am »
Welcome from a fellow newbie.  I'm looking around (the world) for affordable land - how are prices in Ukraine?  All the best with your venture.
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:36:20 am »
Hello and welcome from the middle of Britain....
Little Blue

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:47 am »
Hi there, sounds exciting. Do you get very cold winters and hot summers? and the big question;- can you grow tomatoes outdoors?

hi marigold indeed the winters are very cold -10 to -20 and summers baking hot up to +35/38 and tomatoes grow very well outdoors
Legio Patria Nostre

rbno22

• Joined Dec 2009
  • West Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:37 am »
Welcome from a fellow newbie.  I'm looking around (the world) for affordable land - how are prices in Ukraine?  All the best with your venture.

Hi frankblack well you can buy a small farmhouse with about 3 hectares in the villages for about 15000 usd it would need some work but there are some very nice plots about.
Legio Patria Nostre

FrankBlack

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:10:07 am »
Wow, that sounds affordable.  How are you finding the contrast in cultures from the UK to Ukraine?  Is it safe over there?  What's the bureaucracy like?
Whatever anyone does or says, you must be true to yourself; not for any man’s sake, but for your own nature’s sake; as if either gold, or the emerald, or purple, should ever be saying to themselves, whatever anyone does or says, I must still be an emerald, and I must keep my colour.
Marcus Aurelius

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS