Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wanted -waste/poor-quality/damaged fleece  (Read 2318 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
wanted -waste/poor-quality/damaged fleece
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:04:25 pm »
Hi, looking for some fleece, no matter how matted and mucky as its just to insulate a compost bin, preferably in fife or clackmannanshire but could pay for it to be posted. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Lesley

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: wanted -waste/poor-quality/damaged fleece
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:12:32 pm »
Try local slaughter house on lamb killing days. Get bellies and back ends with bonus poo clinkers. If they're allowed to let it go off the premises !
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:47:00 pm »
Smiley Buckets, I am assuming that the fleece you are talking about from an abattoir will be attatched to the skin? I don't know what its like in Scotland but you need approval from Animal Health to take it from an abattoir in Wales.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:36 am »
same here in Scotland Bionic but I suspect Smiley bucket is referring to the fleece that needs trimmed prior to slaughter if they haven't been done (which they are supposed to be) before they get to the abattoir. We are meant to clip belly and back end before we send them down
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:04:21 pm »
I've got some odds 'n ends - what size is your compost bin and how thickly do you want to insulate it ? I can then have a rough idea how much you need. I'm fairly sure I'll have enough. And then I could let you know the postage.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »
I've got a couple of big fleeces that are no good, but I'm in North Yorks.  No idea how much they weigh or what postage would be, but you're welcome to them.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:49 pm »
Yes red head youre right, the wool taken off before slaughter to make the whole job more sanitary.

Doubt it helps much because its far from surgically clean, just red tape i expect.
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 11:31:03 am »
I've been using MyHermes to send fleeces.  £5.48 for a big one, £3.78 for one that's less than 2kg .

It's an offence to send faeces by mail, so any fleece being posted or couriered should be skirted, even if it is destined for a compost heap!

The OP's best bet is to ask the local sheep farmer.  We all have sacks of daggings and other bits and pieces that we can't include in the wool sheets for the Wool Board, and we'd love to have someone come and take them off our hands!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ann-Eliz

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 11:22:06 pm »
We have as many as you want. We are in Cumbria. Can send via Hermes if you want. Approx £5.48  for 1 or 2 fleeces (up to 5kg.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS