Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: willow cuttings  (Read 5334 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
willow cuttings
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:46 am »
I picked up a load of willow branches from a very nice lady who responded to my request on Freegle as I'd heard that my pygmy goats would like them and they do!
She mentioned that I could grow my own willow trees by rooting some of the branches.
I don't know how to do this - if anyone can tell me I would be really happy as it was a lovely twisty willow tree and then the goats would have their own supply.
Thanks!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: willow cuttings
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:35:02 am »
In my experience just stick them in the ground! (wet ground of course)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:46 am »

If it's a Contorted Willow then it could be a bit more difficult to root.  It's best to take your cuttings from this year's growth, but in fact a branch stuck in anywhere will probably grow, as long as you protect it from nibblers - grazing animals and voles are the worst.   For really quick growth for your goats, well, there's Goat Willow and several other forms which grow more quickly than the contorted one.  :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife, I had no idea there was Goat Willow! I'll try and grow from the branches I was given and also see about getting some other types to grow!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »
Just cut lengths of about a  foot with a bud at the top, take off all leaves, shape the bottom into an angle so they're easy to push in, stick in the  ground and water well. You can plant them close together and weed out or space them well out. Either way protect from animals for the first fee weeks.

If anyone wants any let me know and I'll post out for the price of the postage.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:32 pm »
Some willows you don't even need to stick in the ground - they just root from twigs lying on the ground….. amazing!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
Doganjo bring me a few when you are next over please?  I'll provide lunch..  Twisty would be nice but I'm looking for plain green as I have some yellow and goat willow from previous donations :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:55 pm »
Yes, Ellie I remembered you wanted some.  How many? Will be over week after next.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:50:41 am »
If the ground is dry put your cuttings in a bucket of water, they'll soon develop roots.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:11:03 am »
The are so easy to grow if you have a wet area. We planted well over 100 twigs about 8 years ago and now have our own little willow forest. Every now and again I prune them back to stop them taking over.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
My friend Rob has bunged in hundreds & hundreds of one foot long semi hard wood basket ( Osier willow) cuttings over the last couple of years right next to his many metres of stock fencing , the fenced in goats have been keeping it well trimmed .

You can shove the cutting in anyway up for the willow is remarkable , it has the chemical that promotes root growth in abundance . POPLAR also has this trait .

You can also make your own cheap rooting mix by chopping fresh willow cut just at the change from this year to last years growth boil a big hand full in a pint of water simmer it for 10 min or so to extract the chemical and then once it's gone cold strain the liquid off and use it to soak all those difficult to root cuttings you want to make
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:13:20 pm »

That's really interesting cloddopper, I shall certainly give it a go  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 12:03:33 am »
whoops , I forgot to add the cutting were set on the outside of the fences about a foot away so the goats don't get to eat everything .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS