Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Expanding flock  (Read 2091 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Expanding flock
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:54 pm »
I've started out with only 3 hybrid hens and all went well this year- still getting my 3 eggs every day. At the time I purchased a hen house to house 6-7 birds
Now I am incubating 15 RIR and Light Sussex eggs with a view to keeping the hens and selling the cockerals, possibly keeping one. If I successfully hatch 10-12 and assuming half are hens I will need additional housing.

Thinking long term about housing and pens can I get another house to supplement the one I've got. Will the birds sort themselves out if I do this or do i need to replace the coop i've got with one larger one. 

With regard to the run- we've got foxes in the area and to be honest I don't mind- my dogs seem to keep them away. It is my intention that whenever I am around (I work largely from home) I would let them out into the field- possibly within an electric fenced area. Otherwise I would put them into a large covered run currently under construction- not unlike the ones you see in PP. 
Is there anything wrong with my thinking- or can anyone suggest any better ideas?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Expanding flock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:17:34 pm »
Just add another house they sort out where they want to sleep the rest sounds fine to me. ENJOY

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:10:48 pm »
as the saying goes don't count your chickens before they hatch. you may have 12 eggs and you may get say a 75% hatch rate and if your lucky you will get half females that comes out at either 4-5 hens expect to lose one during brooding and you may not need any extra housing. are you sure your going to find a home for the males not much demand i am afraid. so the options are wait until you can tell the gender and the cull them or raise them and eat them.
but your looking at 2 months of brooding at this time of year.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:35:44 pm »

I have 32 hens and two hen houses, 1 takes 12-15 birds and the other takes 20-30. Guess which one they all sleep in? Yep the little one, no matter how often I sort them out and put some in the big house they still all go where they want.
Anne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »
Mine are the same.  I have a lovely 6 x 4 shed with perches, a shelf, loads of straw, two nest boxes and a dirty smelly duckshed with no floor just deep litter/straw/shavings - yuk!  Will clean it out when I can get some strong men to move it.  But only teh cockerel and his white LS friend go in the shed.  The 7 ex batts and the four ducks go in the mucky duckshed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
body heat. they can get really warm when stuffed into gether.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS