Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Odd Vet Request?  (Read 6824 times)

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
Odd Vet Request?
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:03:39 pm »
 So I went to the vets today to ask for some general antibiotics for my ewes with gunky ears, took me 5 minutes for the woman to understand that I was a teenage girl who keeps sheep and wanted AB's...Anyway, she said because I'd just registered with them if I wanted any meds they would have to come out?! She said because I 'wasn't a farmer that rang up every week asking for things'  >:(  Has anyone else had this? Luckily I went to check them today and the ears seem to be clearing up with septiclense spray, but I have a ewe that needs penicillin and I don't want to have to pay a full call out fee (I'll assume they'll charge me for their time) just to prove I have sheep and for them to tell me what I already know I need?!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Odd Vet Request?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »
Yes. Your vet needs to see your sheep from time to time so that he/she knows what he/she is prescribing for.  Your sheep are "under their care".  They will need to see them (or one of them) once every 6 months or 12 months or so.

The cheapest way is to take the affected sheep to the vet, then you don't have to pay the call out fee.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »
I think that would be fairly standard as a new customer, the vet will probably want to do a flock health plan with you and so on.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »
Ok, I can see where they're coming from but at the same time was aggravating when i was worried about my ewe and they wouldn't sell me anything!
Will have to ring and see about taking her to them, she has some sort of infection in her bits and a cough :/

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:22:13 pm »
Yep sorry, its a legal thing, 6 months is probably stretching the definition of under your care anyway but is what most seem to go for, don't blame the vet for that one 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:23:21 pm »
i think its a normal response. once you build up a relationship with the vet it will become easier.
remember you can buy a script from the vet and purchase some meds on-line. its usually cheaper even after the script fee.
or get pally with a local shepherd as get some from him/her.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:30 pm »
Sure thanks :) yeh I can see where they are coming from, but I'm still getting used to the 'being responsible-ringing-official-places-talking-to-official-people' type thing! Will have to put on my big girl pants and ring them/go in...
I have been offered but I am determined to do it on my own and don't want to be a burden on our local farmer, already got 5 of his hurdles!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:28:24 pm »
Same as the others. Our vet didn't prescribe until a visit. I spose as much as anything it's to check you actually have livestock and are keeping them in suitable conditions. When we first started one of our original girls arranged a swift visit by ripping her horn off. Cue much blood and a vet. After that no prob getting meds

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »
Brilliant thanks :) i think her kind of snobby/disparaging/disbelieving attitude kind of made me automatically think it was personal but obviously it wouldn't be!

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »
We never had it with the sheep, they have never seen them other than a lamb we took in a few years ago and we have had a lot of stuff off them over the years, but did with the horses when I wanted some sedalin. The vet just called in on his way past - no charge, was just a paperwork thing to ensure we had them.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:25 pm »
Have to jump through their hoops though to get what I want/need for my sheep  :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:23 pm »
First time I went to pick up Heptavac from our small anmal practice, they wouldn't give me it - although it was in the fridge with my name on it, having been sent up by the large animal practice  ;D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
I hate to say it but I think if you are a bloke it's easier...

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 08:50:51 pm »
To be taken seriously? If I was a bloke, over 20, and not dressed in a suit dress...thank god I didn't wear my heels in :/ 

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »
At least I'll know for next time to go in wearing my dirty jeans, wellies, and checked work shirt. Because why would a female farmer ever want to look nice?  :thinking:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS