Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Keepers Inspections in Ireland  (Read 2823 times)

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Pig Keepers Inspections in Ireland
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:26 am »
Hello There

We just had an on the spot pig inspection from the department, who are checking
out all pig keepers in Southern Ireland with Pig Herd numbers.    :pig:

Everything went fine - no problems by can advise others what they are looking for
so that you can get prepared:-

If outdoors, must have dry area and bedding plus water available all the time.    :pig: :love:

If indoors,  Lighting - must have light, artificial or natural and not be held up in a dark place.
               Must not be chained or held by a rope ( Commercial Piggeries do this )
               Must have enough space as defined by standards ( Which is quite small to be honest)
               Must have access to water at all times
               Numbers tally with movement documents and information given to department     :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

ALSO  Make sure that you have complied with the letter sent out regarding Swine Flu in a Herd in
Northern Ireland - and that you are logging in all vehicles, visitors etc, and have appropriate signage
regarding the threat of swine flu to your herd if you are an open farm or have the public on your land.    :o

Make sure your paperwork is in order and to hand for inspection if necessary too - we have ours in a
plastic file at all times.   ::) ;D 

I hope this may help some of you, with Swine Flu having more effect as it gets colder and this wet
weather we are all having, I would advise all pig keepers from all countries to make sure that they are
complying with the regulations.   

Most of you, like us, I am sure, are always within the requirements - "jobs not worth doing if it ain't done right"
was what my Dad would say to me as a kid - and it kinda stuck too!    ;D

Julie
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:48:39 am by Snoopy »
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Tipperary

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Pig Keepers Inspections in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:50:52 am »
Hi There  :o

Thanks very much for the information.  Well worth knowing.  :horse:

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
   Must not be chained or held by a rope ( Commercial Piggeries do this ).....  :-\  Which one's? Most I've seen are very well looked after!

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »
   Must not be chained or held by a rope ( Commercial Piggeries do this ).....  :-\  Which one's? Most I've seen are very well looked after!

Don't have a clue which ones- but my friend with a commercial piggery down the road from us states
that that was on the mans checklist -  :o
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:50:05 am »
Its the norm in Holland!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS