Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep handling tuition please!!!  (Read 4393 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
sheep handling tuition please!!!
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:56:08 pm »
hi all my happy sheep friends...

i think i need to come get some hands on experience with someone else in how to handle sheep properly!!!

whilst i have a clue on the basics i need practice and advice...

so if anyone within an hour of Glenrothes-Fife is willing to show me what when i need to be doing at some point when your doing your own sheep I am happy to be an extra pair of hands and help you out as i learn :-)

particularly i am interested in feet, vaccination and drenches. obviously not all at once im sure but if anyone's doing general sheep maintenance and is prepared to have a willing helper please let me know.

I can do most days and times with a little bit of notice...

Thanks Everyone...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: sheep handling tuition please!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:13:37 pm »

Sorry I can't help with the experience Bloomer, but I can tell you of my pet hate.  When I see people lifting and handling sheep by their wool it makes me cringe.  When we first had sheep, Jacobs in this case, a butcher friend chopped them for us and we would watch and learn.  One particular carcase had bruising of the flesh at the back end, and our friend explained that that was cause by the sheep being lifted by its fleece.  Who would have thought it would cause so much damage  :o.  In practice, a hand under the chin, and a steadying hand on the opposite britch will hold a sheep steady, and they can be encouraged to jump into a trailer or whatever by using flat hands, not gripping fleece.  The same really applies to horns too - sheep horns are very sensitive and they hate being handled by them and usually pull and twist.  Just occasionally you do have to catch hold of a horn for a safe catch, but it shouldn't be a habit.  Calm unstressed sheep are much easier to handle than stressed animals, trying to escape their handlers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:01:13 pm »
Sorry you are probably a bit too far (probably 1.5 hours), but I am doing vaccination this coming weekend (but only 3 lambs that came up from Cumbria), and also my goats will get their boosters... I will also do feet on the goats (same principle as sheep's feet). So if you fancy a trip to the Borders...

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:24 pm »
Once you've mastered the knack, handling a large sheep is relatively easy. It took me a while to get used to the method of getting them sat down, by sticking your thumb in their mouth and twisting their head, but it really is the best.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:42:04 pm »
I could take you through a few things handling, foot care, drenching, injections ext
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:09 am »
dougie that would be awesome let me know when you have time/when your planning on doing your sheep and i'll come visit!!!

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:18 am »
Do you have to kind of teach the sheep how to learn to sit? That might sound crazy but my ewe lambs just won't relax when I try and turn their head?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
the relaxed bit comes when they are comfortably on their rear end .... until that point it is your technique which gets them to 'sit' ..... takes practice. 

what I used to tell my students...
1) stand firmly to the side of the sheep (legs wide apart) holding under chin with your right hand if you are right handed, other hand grasping the fleshy flap in front of back leg on side away from you.
2) Fold neck firmly and rapidly towards rear , (do number 3 at same time)
3) whilst stepping backwards, push both hands towards you and down.  DO NOT let sheep walk backwards (capitals for emphasis) or you will be dancing with it for ages.
4) Once bum on floor (sheep not you hopefully!) pull head upwards and grip sheep sides with knees.

The mistake made by most people is either not being firm enough folding the neck back and /or allowing sheep to step backwards.

good luck
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »
That's interesting, Backinwellies, that is pretty much exactly the method I use, but despite being VERY right handed, I do it the other way round, with my left hand at the head end.  I am going to sneak up on OH this afternoon to see if it is only me that does it backside forwards (probably is, I don't seem to be able to do anything normally!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
I'm righthanded and I use my left hand under the chin, too; my right hand is on the lisk flap.  Works for me - but then I often do things 4r$e about face too! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:30:02 pm »
Not planning on doing my sheep for real but could go through a simulation type situation of the methods used. How about sunday 10 in the morning.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
Sorry for butting in the conversation but just to inform you all that I successfully tipped all my sheep today!  :D so much easier than lifting them like I had been doing!  :-\ woo! Thanks all!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 07:49:43 am »
yes please for sunday, dougie. will call you later to sort details :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS