Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram going to my ewes tomarra!! What to do?  (Read 2064 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Ram going to my ewes tomarra!! What to do?
« on: September 07, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
My texel ram is going in with my ewes tomorrow, i have a drench for the ram and ewes so will get them into the pen and drench them all i also have yellow raddle powder i mix it with vegetable oil and rub it on the rams chest, isnt this right? And then let the ram work away!!

Any other advice would be great thanks!!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ram going to my ewes tomarra!! What to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
when you mix the raddle be carefull not to add to much oil you need it fairly stiff so when you pick it up its like thick porridge rather than yogurt or a lot will drip off

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »
I put them in as small a field as has good grazing, so the ram doesn't have to spend all his time on the move around the ewes. I also spray the ewes' tag number on one side and go round with my notebook when I check them, to note down numbers - useful come lambing time as I know which ewes to look out for on any given day.  Don't forget to check the ram over just before he goes in - teeth, toes, testicles and tone.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:58:25 pm »
Also change raddle colour to red or blue on day 16, so you can check that he is not repeating on too many ewes.  I personally found yellow t be quite weak, always started off with blue, then onto red (or vice versa).

I also spray large number on one wide of ewe and note down who's got tupped in last 24 hours. They almost always lamb in the same order!

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:24:18 am »
Probably too late for you now, but as I said last year, mixing in some cheap soft margarine will thicken the raddle gunk and it will stay on longer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:34:09 am »
Probably too late for you now, but as I said last year, mixing in some cheap soft margarine will thicken the raddle gunk and it will stay on longer.
I took this advice last year and it worked a treat. Because I wasn't sure how it was going to work I ended up doing it almost every day but that wasn't a problem at all. Luckily I had a very well mannered ram and as I gave him his breakfast each morning I was able to give him a nice chest rub with raddle paste on my gloved hand. Job done  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:15:51 pm »
thanks all i got the wrong drench i think its mineral and vitamins drench and not for worms or anything! what brand do you recommend
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS