Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shouting:(  (Read 3490 times)

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Shouting:(
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:25:00 am »
I find it extremely offensive when people "Shout" replies - Using capitals is classed as shouting and there is no need for it. Please remember this when posting. You can get your message across without sounding as if you think we are an idiot. We are all on this site for the same good.  :'(

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: Shouting:(
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:05:58 am »
I doubt many people are 'about the Internet' enough to even know that. If that's all you've got to worry about I wish I was you  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:15:17 am »
I have to agree with NicandChic, I don't think capitals are always used with the intention of 'cyber shouting', sometimes people type in Caps lock as it helps them to see more clearly or they are repeating a point they made earlier for clarity...
If they were swearing in capitals that would perhaps be more cause for concern, I wouldn't get too  offended.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
Sorry you've had such an experience during your brief time on this forum. I'm coming up to 2 years and have never been remotely offended or felt treated like an idiot. It has been and still is my most valuable resource in looking after my livestock properly and I have always felt supported- not always right, but always supported.. I suppose in my scale of being offended, someone typing in capital letters from several hundred miles away does come pretty low. hope your continued experience is more positive.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
I guess shep53 thought that his / her previous post that spot on doesn't prevent fly strike had been missed or misinterpreted and was using capitals for emphasis. I'm sure it wasn't meant to give offense.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »
Yes, I am sure it was for emphasis.  But some people *are* rather sensitive to capitals, so perhaps quoting oneself and saying,

"I repeat, spot-on will not "... etc

would be more readily accepted.  Using italics, underlining and bold for emphasis is usually more readily accepted than capitals, big font, red letters, etc., too.

Not that I think the use of capitals was wrong or should have been taken offence at in the circs, but at my advanced years I have eventually learned, I think, that encouragement works better than being overly assertive.  Even if one has to encourage again and again and again, and has a bloody tongue from biting it.  Folks just don't take stuff on board if their backs are up.

Equally, I completely understand how frustrating it is to be giving quality advice and seeing it ignored or worse.  Sometimes you'll see me post,
For the benefit of subsequent readers of this thread"

(in my head, "who might listen") ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:10 pm »
There are some places where only capitals can produce emphasis - Facebook for  one - italics, emboldening, underlining is not possible.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:25:14 pm »
Convention is to use asterisks or other such punctuation for emphasis in such places, Annie, as in, "It will *not* provide protection"   or, "it will >>>not<<< provide protection"

The OP was, however, referring to using capitals for emphasis on TAS, where we not only have the full range of text formatting options but also a great range of emoticons.  Maybe we need to come up with a "Listen Up!" emoticon!   Or a big pointy arrow we can point at a little nugget we don't want people to miss!  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:40 pm »
Yes I know all the methods of emphasis on other sites and BC did not specifically mention shouting on TAS
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS