Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting again.  (Read 7109 times)

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Planting again.
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:06:01 pm »
Finally the rain stopped for two days in a row so managed to plant overwintering onions and garlic. Probably just in time as frosts are forecast here in Glasgow for this weekend and next week. It feels good to have something in the ground for next year. Anybody else managed to plant anything?
JD

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Re: Planting again.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:02:00 pm »
I wanted to get some Broad Beans in but it's been lashing with rain lately and now we have a touch of ground frost. I might still manage if I can find my old cloche but it depends on the temperature, what do you think? Wasting my time now as it's so late?

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:43:14 pm »
Hi Gordon, really depends on where you are and the weather. If no prolonged frost forecast then should be ok.
JD

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »
Hi JD,
I'm in Clackmannanshire, the forecast is to be a little warmer through the week, so I'll try and get some in around Wednesday or Thursday, a bit late I know, but hopefully they'll sprout a bit as long as I cover them with the cloche. (Found it now.)
Cheers
Gordon

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
I'm hoping to get some garlic in later in the week too. This year I planted end of Jan and they were tiny when the stalks died off ... hoping for something I can use next year!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:10:16 am »
I planted my garlic a few weeks ago. also trying all year round cauliflower and spring cabbage in my pollytunnel.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:11:14 pm »
just what I left in so far - chard tends to survive frost and comes back in spring, kale as well and I discovered some self seeded corn salad. I tried broad beans previously but they all got eaten by mice  :&>

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:38:34 pm »
Have garlic, lettuce and black radish planted here. Planted lettuce last year and was really surprised to see it still alive after being buried under 3 foot of snow for over 2 weeks!

Still quite mild here in BG so wish I'd planted a few more things but I'll know for future years.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:23:55 pm »
Have planted garlic - the first time I have sowed in the winter. I usually go for spring sowing, but this year was a disaster, so I thought I needed to try something different. I didn't know you could overwinter onions - that's sets I presume? I've not seen any sets being sold - not that I have really looked very hard!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:42 pm »
Hi Rumpleteazer, I got autumn planting onion sets and garlic mail order from Marshalls.
JD

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »
Hi Rumpleteazer, I got autumn planting onion sets and garlic mail order from Marshalls.

Thanks for that JD. I will take a look.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:04:33 pm »
Hey JD

I got my Garlic in about the same time as you, might have even been a few weeks later, anyway, jsut before the snow fell (22nd January?) I'd noticed that about 50% or more of my garlic shoots were through

last year i got the stuff in around late october and it was off to a cracking start before winter set in.

I'm hoping i didn't leave it too late.

Anyway, about 170 cloves were planted, we are just about to run out of the 60 we planted last year, so i've more than doubled up and I hope that i'll be able to have enough left over to start next years planting from whatever is left over

This time last year I started my chillis in the house in a home made heated propogator - I guess I better think about getting them started off again

yesterday was the 1st time I'd had to buy chillies sine June - it was a VERY sad day

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:00 pm »
I know how you feel I ran out of chillis mid November mainly because I give too many away to family/friends etc. This is my first full year with a greenhouse so hope to start them earlier this year.
Was thinking about you today after reading your posts about your veg box venture. I tried to pull a leek but the ground was frozen solid under the snow nor could I get a fork in. Hopefully it will be a few years before we have another prolonged frost as bad as this one.
JD

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 12:49:41 pm »
I've tried over wintering some chilli plants inside this year and they seem to be doing ok, hoping to get an early start on them as we love chillies.

British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:22:15 pm »
Does anyone plant garlic that they've bought from supermarkets/shops ? I know that with taters there's a likelihood of disease etc, but does that apply to shop bought garlic as well?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS