Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scunnered!!  (Read 3553 times)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Scunnered!!
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:02:55 pm »
After waiting for 5 weeks on a test from the meat hygiene folk for some non-existant disease (trichonella) that pigs may carry...........

My bloody pig has broken her leg..........

She is due into the abbatoir on Monday with another pig so I'm raging!! >:( :pig: >:(

Bang goes the sausages!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Scunnered!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:20:53 pm »
**Sympathetic swearing!**
(dont want to get into trouble!)

How did she manage to do that?!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:23:08 pm »
Skidding on the mud, maybe?  :(  Does she have her leg in a splint?  How long will it take to mend?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:22:29 pm »
Broken leg equals bang bang, doganjo

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:38:08 pm »
Why?  Can't they fix a pig's leg?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »
Lee, if this is a daft question forgive me. Why can't you just slaughter the  pig now? ::)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:06:49 pm »
Pig will be dispatched in the morning! Butcher coming in to chop her, I just wanted her done in an abbatoir and cut up and put in vacuum packs.

She's 5 and didn't get in-pig this turn(3 months with boar), so decided to sausage her!
She must have caught her leg amongst the straw and tripped!
 Tamworths have such thin long legs that I would doubt whether splinting would do her any favours!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »
Ah, ok

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:00 pm »
So does that mean the meat is wasted?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:03 am »
No, it just means I can't sell any of the meat and I'll be missing a leg of pork(kidding)!

The meat will be fine, it's just do frustrating that I've waited this long and she now can't go. It's now going to cost £63 to take one pig on the ferry to Arran, not so economical!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:03 am »
Thats rotten luck. 

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:27:23 am »
 :pig: we have a friend that has beef shorthorn and one of his broke its shoulder the vet came out and shot it gave him a yellow form for the slaughter house for them to butcher it for his own use the defra rules state that when this sort of thing happens it can only be eaten by the owner of the holding number thats a whole load of beef this is just one of the foolish rules we all have to work to.its total madness if the meat is ok for one human to eat why not just let it go into the food chain.
they are possibly worried about pse in the pork but that can happen anyhow to any pig and as she was going for sausages pse should not pose too much of a problem but its the mad rules that we all have to live by.
i guess it will be sausages for christmas dinner this year for you.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:47:09 am by chickenfeed »

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:40:26 am »
Yellow form??? I'll be asking my vet about that!!!

Unfortunately were abit away from any abbatoir and carrying a dead pig about isn't my idea of fun!!

She's dead now!

chickenfeed

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:14:47 am »
 :pig: all i can say about the yellow form is our friend had to call the slaughter house to check they could deal with the cow the vet shot the cow on the farm wrote out a yellow form to be taken to the slaughterhouse this entitled him (the farmer ) to eat the beef. it possibly too late for your pig but bear it in mind should (fingers crossed that it's a one off for you) it happen again.

Carol Knights

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 07:11:09 pm »
Five weeks!!! When I have a sow sausaged the trichonella test takes a couple of days and then the carcass goes to the butcher the same week ready for processing. Five weeks ! Unbelievable!
Carol Knights
alsafarm.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS