Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hiring a ram  (Read 2263 times)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Hiring a ram
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:01 am »
Hi. I am asking for a bit of advice. I have seen it suggested to others and I am now thinking about hiring a ram. Could anyone advise me how this works, (the hiring bit, not what the ram does  :excited:)  thanks

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
Re: Hiring a ram
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:56:36 am »
I've only hired a ram once before, mostly I buy in rams but here's my experience:

- First find someone who'll hire you a ram - many people won't due to disease/worm risk
- The owner I hired the ram from delivered the ram to our farm
- The ram then ran with my ewes for a set period (think it was 30 days) and we agreed a date when the owner would take him back
- We paid for hiring the ram and mileage for delivering/picking up
- Lots of lambs were born in spring!  It was quite a simple process for us.

Make sure you do movement forms etc and maybe ask the owner about their worming, vaccination routine? Have a good look at the ram before hiring it if possible.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:11:14 pm »
Depending on your numbers and maybe on your chosen breed - the easiest is actually to g and speak to nearby sheep farmer and buy one of his entire tup lambs (for maybe a little more than fat price). Then once he has covered all the ewes, just bring him down to the fat lamb sale. That way you may actually make money on him, at least his services should be free to you!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »
We hire out both Southdown and Badger face rams.  We have a high health flock and breed our own replacements, so our rams won't take orf, scab, footrot, CODD or any other nasties with them.  The usual hire period is four weeks and folks collect them if they can although we will transport them at cost for those that don't have a suitable trailer.  In practice they cover all the ewes in under three weeks.  They are quarantined for six weeks after return.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »
Thank you. That's very helpful. Definitely something to think about

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS