Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling Eggs  (Read 4486 times)

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
Selling Eggs
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:16 pm »
Does anyone have any information as regards your liability if you sell eggs and the person gets sick (lets say salmonella).

I am keen to sell at the bottom of the garden but for the little it returns, it is not woth any risk.

Views appreciated, Keith

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Selling Eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:52 pm »
Try not to sweat on them and you should be OK.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
Try not to sweat on them and you should be OK.

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »
How many eggs are we talking about keith ? I sell all my eggs to friends, family and neighbours and have done for years, those that don't come back i assume died of salmonella, seriously keith don't panic unless you're selling to shops, pubs etc.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:30 pm »
Thanks folks, useful (mostly  :wave:), I am just selling 20-30 eggs per week so the honesty box is the way forward for me I think, Keith

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:56:24 am »
Yeah. Sorry. ;D. I knocked up an honesty box out of a pallet. Nice little thing with a pitched roof. We're pretty rural but anything I put in there goes for £1.20 a box which is good by me but no more than pocket money really.

Pays for something though.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:09 am »
If you want to be really sure, I had an insurance guy round yesterday from NFU  (to discuss all sorts of more major things to do with buildings) but he said there is a special smallholder/homeworker insurance. The intention of this is to cover you in case anybody becomes ill through consuming your product. It's mainly aimed at those producing food of whatever form (in my case apple juice but jams, cider etc.), especially if they sell through farmers markets where it is compulsory. He reckoned it was about £50 a year so it would probably wipe out most of your egg profits but could give you peace of mind....

H

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
Thanks for the input, £50 is not a lot for piece of mind and if you are doing more than eggs (fruit, sheep etc) then it works, K

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:19 pm »
im paying 10 times that and iv only 3rd party for livestock and land.  :relief:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:00:30 pm »
This wasn't the full public liability - just a specific one for smallholders working on a small scale from home. I've been trying to find the details on their website but can only find this:

Overview

We offer a range of common sense insurance covers that are as flexible as the way you work; whether you operate a professional business from home, grow your own produce or make and sell products on a small scale.

Our working from home insurance is only available to policyholders insuring their home contents with us.

We're going to need to get public liability and holiday cottage insurance too which I'm sure will be a whole lot more expensive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS