Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and Bananas  (Read 3779 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Pigs and Bananas
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:34:58 pm »
I have access to loads of bananas which i have been feeding the pigs with their meal. i have not reduced their daily amount just giving them 3-5 bananas each with their meal everyday. I was just wondering can too many bananas have any side effects (ie make them sick)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Pigs and Bananas
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:10:48 pm »
I understand that bananas are about the only fruit on earth that can sustain life i.e. it has all the nutrients necessary to live off. I shouldn't imagine there's any problem as long as you don't overdo it. Mine 4 Tammies eat loads of bananas with zero ill effect.

Regards,

Morgan

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
ours would eat bananas all day long, however i would reduce the feed a little if i gave them a lot :pig:

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:43 pm »
cheers guys.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:04:23 am »
Anytime! Mine tucked into a breakfast of passion fruit, grapes, bananas, apples, blackberries and pears the other morning with a little grain. I remarked to my wife that they were better fed than we were!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:07:01 am by sausagesandcash »

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 02:29:05 pm »
I would think they will be fine, although Bananas contain oil, which may turn to fat, so if you are going slaughtering for meat soon, I would check with Mr. Pig - one of our users who has not been on for a while - he will know if it could be detrimental to the
fat and therefore less meat content etc.

Living the Good Life and spreading the word

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 06:02:00 pm »
Nice 1 snoopy but they are for breeding.

i'll be tucking into their offspring though.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »

We have been feeding Bananas for years now but I will say you must lower the hard feed a little or you will end up with a lot of fat. We have got it just right but we have done it for some time and we do feed them lots of other veg as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS