Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shot gun or rifle?  (Read 8424 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
shot gun or rifle?
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:54:49 am »
When I have my own Ponderosa I want to keep the vermin down to a minimum (rabbits, pigeons etc) and have them for the pot.  OH likes to get me interesting presents and I thought of gun lessons in preparation.  Question is do I have shot gun or rifle lessons.  I have been thinking about it and a shot gun would leave shot all over the garden/paddock and the chickens may eat it.  That is why I thought a rifle would be better.  What is everyone's opinion.  Ros  :cat: :chook:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:26:08 am by r+lchick »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: shot gun or rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:00:59 am »
i would say a .22 rifle. more sport our house has been peppered with spent shot once or twice. just be sure you know were the bullet will go if you miss. our neighbor had to kill one of their sheep thanks to a careless bunny hunter.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:09 pm »
We manage to shoot rabbits with a.22 air rifle.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:06:05 pm »
What is the difference between and .22 air rifle and a normal rifle?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:32:33 pm »
the range and the kill factor. .22 rifle will kill at at a lot longer range and should result in a better kill to wound rate. a proper .22 rifle has other uses to.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:07:06 pm »
Sorry I meant between an air rifle and a normal rifle?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:26:38 pm »
Air rifles have a lead pellet that you load.  Compressed air is then used to fire this pellet.  This is done either by a spring in a chamber which you cock, and when you fire the spring shoots forward, compressing the air, which in turn fires the pellet.  Alternately you can have a pre-charged air rifle, which had air a bit like in a divers tank.  Here you just press the trigger, and these can be multi shot - mine has 7 pellets in a magazine.

Air rifles come in two sorts - ones any adult can own and ones which needs a firearms certificate (known as an FAC air-rifle).  A non-fac air rifle can have air pressure up to 12lbs an inch, and will work an effective range up to say 20m if killing bunnies (more if you're good).  An FAC air rifle can have much greater pressure, and much greater range.

A "normal" rifle has a bullet which consists of the bullet itself, and a cartridge behind which hold explosive.  All rifles need a firearms certificate.  Rifles come in all sorts of calibres (sizes). You simply load the bullet, and shoot. The most popular for bunnies is a .22mm rimfire, which equates well (ish) to a .22 FAC air-rifle. 

Both air-rifles and normal rifles have advantages, as have shotguns, and if there was one answer to this question the others would not be made :)

The decision is a mixture of cost, convenience, noise, and outright bias.  Added to this will be a police assessment of your ground if you go down the FAC route (normal or enhanced air rifle).

For you, a shotgun is probably not the answer, lead around, probably neighbours to complain. 

Personally I would consider a .22mm FAC air-rifle or normal rifle.  However as above the police will consider both you and your ground to see if both are suitable.  The key for the ground will be it’s topography – ie where you plan to shoot from, and where the bullet will go if you miss.  If near neighbours, then police might consider it unsuitable.

You may do better to start with non-fac air rifle, and get some experience before progressing to more lethal means.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »
Our rabbits are so tame you could just about club them with the stock of the rifle.

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:26:27 pm »
Hi reference the choice between .22 rimfire or shotgun, it may be worth contacting your local firearms licensing officer and ask him to have a look at your ground, mine is the most helpful chap I've come across and had my firearm and shotgun certificates issued within three weeks.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 08:42:11 am »
Thanks for your responses.  I am thinking of rabbit shooting in the future just getting in practice at the moment.  I thought it pointless to learn on something now and later find out it was unsuitable.  But if I can kill a rabbit with an .22 air rifle, that would be good.  I have a shooting range just down the road.  If I go for a rifle, I may have to travel a bit of a distance.  Could I bag a pigeon with a .22 air rifle?  Anyone tried? 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:46 am »
yes you can. but it has to be a head shot. i shot a herring gull that was killing chicks but i would say thats its limit. and the rifle has to be a good hunting one.

Carolinajim

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Eastern North Carolina, USA
    • Red Bay Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:49 pm »
I find the .22 to be most versitile because of the range of cartridges available.  Shooting short target rounds is very quiet.  Shooting 60 grain subsonic rounds is very effective even on deer at close range.

Just be careful because the rounds can travel over a mile.  Echoing the comment about the lost sheep...some careless individuals around here were "target" practicing and shot a horse accidentally...which also had to be euthanized.

Never shoot without a known backstop.
Best Regards,
Jim
www.redbayfarm.com a website about a small 46 acre family owned tree farm
Become Carbon Neutral - Buy Land and Plant Trees

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »
My local butcher sells rabbits which have been shot. The ones shot with a shotgun don't make good eating because the bones are shattered and you finish up with mouthfuls of bone splinters. The rabbits shot with rifle are much better (for eating).

I bought a .22 air rifle with telescopic sight and silencer. The guy I bought the air rifle from reckoned that it was best at a range of about 50 yards. The only thing I can hit at 50 yards is a tree! I even fitted a bipod to keep it steady.

OK, so I am useless but I've spent about £500 for nothing (so far).

Good luck

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »
50 yards for an air rifle is ask way to much. your not going to get many clean kills at that distance. uptp say 20-25 would be the max i would say.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:48 pm »
An Italian friend of mine used to take my old GWP shooting with an air gun and silencer because she is gun shy (not going to change that at 12 and a half! ::) )  He used to regularly bring her back carrying her own dinner and enough for my three other dogs too!  Rabbits and Pheasants.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS