Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep turnover crate  (Read 13103 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Sheep turnover crate
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
I am looking for a sheep turnover crate. I am based in Northern Ireland so that might limit my chances. Prices for a new one is anything from £600 which I think is a bit on the steep side. Can anybody help? or suggest a practical alternative.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Sheep turnover crate
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
have a look at farm sales. i would love one but not at that price.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:50 pm »
I'd love one too.

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:57 pm »
This is a cheaper alternative for foot trimming if you are young and fit enough for dances-with-sheep!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=86&cat_id=4

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »
Although the sheep deck chair is useful, you still have to wrestle with the sheep to get them into it. Which can be a problem if you're trying to trim feet/give treatment with no help.  Especially if, like me, you're only 5' tall!!  I acquired a deck chair 'type' contraption some months ago, and found it more difficult than trying to manage without one, purely because I couldn't lift the sheep into it! (Perhaps I was doing it wrong).  I suppose if you've no problem with lifting the sheep into the chair in the first place then its useful for keeping them still.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »
I managed to get a turnover crate in fairly good condition for £150, so they do exist if you keep your eyes open.

I also have a sheep deckchair, but as morri2 says, they're not easy to use single handed.

This is one reason why I decided to stick to small sheep, Soays & Hebrideans!

John

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:19 pm »
I would not personally invest in a deckchair, though they might be useful for rams, for doing their feet and applying raddle. I would think you would want to get the sheep crammed up whilst you are trying to get them into the chair.
If I wanted a tipping crate I would probably make one. If you look at one and make a few sketches and measurements I think it shouldn't be difficult if you can weld or even get someone to weld it for you.

I know an old man who has about 100 ewes which he shears himself using a tipping crate. He does about 3 or 4 in an afternoon whilst listening to the radio. Then tomorrow afternoon he will do 3 or 4 more if he's in the mood. It takes him about a month to shear them all and they wouldn't win prizes, but what the hay.  :)
The hardest trick to shearing is holding the sheep I think.  He uses electric shears, the type with the motor in the handset.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:57:46 pm by Canadian Sheepfarmer »

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:27:14 pm »
Hi Declan

I know of a turnover crate for sale in Ayrshire   It's made by Ironworks of Devon, fully adjustable, as new condition, for sale at £550 ovno   I'm sure you could get that down a bit     If you're interested pm me and I'll pass on the phone number

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:17:01 am »
Thanks all. Local dealer has that Iron Works one for £585 so if all else fails I'll save up and give it a go.- probably get more sheep to justify the purchase!!!

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:44:36 pm »
My turnover crate is also an Ironworks one, and still has the transfers on it.

I know it was a good buy at £150, and might have paid twice that, but £585 seems a bit steep.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:24:57 am »
Have a look at the Prattley mobile systems - you could hire it out to neighbouring smallholders!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »
thats a very good idea.

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:42 pm »
Hi,

Fergie - you say you got an Iron Works turnover crate for £150??? How long ago was that?  ;)

I too would love a turnover crate but I can't justify the expense based on the prices that I have seen.

Richard.

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:10:03 pm »
Hi,

Fergie - you say you got an Iron Works turnover crate for £150??? How long ago was that?  ;)

I too would love a turnover crate but I can't justify the expense based on the prices that I have seen.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

it was only about six months ago, on ebay with a "Buy it Now" option.  Unfortunately, it was someone selling his deceased father's equipment.  As I said, I would have paid twice that, so it was a case of a quick response as soon as I saw the advert. 

John

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:30 pm »
Hi just looking through ebay, and found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHEEP-TURNOVER-CRATE_W0QQitemZ230425344304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL?hash=item35a66bb930  No. good for me - far too far away, but maybe someone else might take a look?

Richard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS