Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cock bird having a hard time during moult  (Read 1827 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
cock bird having a hard time during moult
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:38:26 pm »
Gollum, my SG cock is moulting and he always moults quite dramatically. Last year I took him away from the flock as they pecked at his pin feathers and made him bleed. He found that quite stressful (being away from them).
They've not done that this year (yet?!) but he looks pretty miserable today. Should I maybe take him away with one older hen for company? I know he could do with a protein boost-other than mealworms (which I have) am open to suggestions.

TIA

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: cock bird having a hard time during moult
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »
have you tried spraying him with a anti-peck spray? or have a smaller run within the larger run?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »
the anti peck spray doesn't seem to have much effect atm, sorry-should have mentioned that I've tried it. I did try the run within a run thing last year but it didn't seem to be any less stressful than taking him away. His flock is free range within a paddock now so I'd imagine he'd hate that more. I'll grab him once they've roosted and have a look-I'll maybe keep him out back for a few days and get some protein down him.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »
I was told to give mine beef cat food. It seemed to help. I hate seeing chooks moult. Mine usually do it in the winter, silly birds. Hope your boy grows his feathers before too long.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:40:53 pm »
You could try keeping him out of both sight and sound of the others, so he won't mope.  Cock birds of wild species hide away during the moult then reappear singing their socks off, after all.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:27:15 pm »
thanks :) I didn't know that MF, he has been moping on his own a bit so will bring him into back garden out of sight of them and see how he goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS