Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike treatment  (Read 10025 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Flystrike treatment
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:15 pm »
It has been a good preventative for us for the past 3 seasons but I will keep a closer eye now on them. The main reason we use it is the withdrawal period which is a lot less than click.
       CLIK     wd 40 days lasts 16wk  spreads over body         CLIKZIN   wd 7days lasts 8wks spreads over body    CROVECT   wd 8 days lasts  6-8 wks  does not spread only protects where touches

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »
I have just had a lamb that I jabbed yesterday for scald brought back inside as it was stood looking about to die and nearly threw up when found all the maggots up the leg and all over the chest and shoulders. The skin is black. I rang the vet and he told me to clip the affected area fully and then used a weak solution of Jeys Fluid and apply it with a sponge to all the affected areas which will kill the maggots. Tomorrow I have to start treating the skin which will be infected with hibiscrub and jab again in a couple of days. He said there is a national shortage of the stuff you all mention but as I have only 14 he is going to supply Spot On instead. He said the lamb may well die of shock overnight. I am also going to apply Lime to wall sides and gates etc for the scald. The Vet said scald and blow fly are terrible this year.  :-[

Cannot believe how quick they took hold.
         While coopers spot-on can kill maggots like crovect ,it provides no  PROTECTION

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »

Our local co op had plenty in stock..

http://ccfagri.co.uk/location/clynderwen/

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »
A new day babycham, how is your lamb ?? Still with us I hope. I use clik or clikzin for good full protection, I used to use vetrazine but know one stocks it now, no fly strick for about 15yrs, they were done beginning of May then later after shearing. Good luck  :hug:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »

[/quote]       CLIK     wd 40 days lasts 16wk  spreads over body         CLIKZIN   wd 7days lasts 8wks spreads over body    CROVECT   wd 8 days lasts  6-8 wks  does not spread only protects where touches
[/quote]

A great summary ..... all sheep keepers should see this
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 04:11:57 pm »
Every sheep keeper should read the EBLEX Parasite Control Guide which gives the most comprehensive list of treatments for internal and external parasites together with withdrawal info and persistency dates etc.  And it's usually pretty up to date (although I notice it doesn't have the new Mole Valley products on there yet).
http://www.eblex.org.uk/returns/health-and-fertility/  (near bottom of page)

Just because your local store sells one thing it doesn't mean it's the most ideal product for you, so this document can be very helpful in that respect to show you what is actually available out there.

Bad year for flies, I hope all those who've been hit are now on the mend.  Roll on a nice cold winter....

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 07:02:17 pm »
Had to have mine euthanised today as they maggots had took hold even under fresh fleece - such a good lamb but the vet said its rife at the moment:( Just checked all the rest and poured them with Spot On and to do them again in a month.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »
I REPEAT SPOT-ON DOES NOT PREVENT FLY STRIKE

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:58 am »
I REPEAT SPOT-ON DOES NOT PREVENT FLY STRIKE
Please do not shout - I can read small case very well.
I have just had a lamb that I jabbed yesterday for scald brought back inside as it was stood looking about to die and nearly threw up when found all the maggots up the leg and all over the chest and shoulders. The skin is black. I rang the vet and he told me to clip the affected area fully and then used a weak solution of Jeys Fluid and apply it with a sponge to all the affected areas which will kill the maggots. Tomorrow I have to start treating the skin which will be infected with hibiscrub and jab again in a couple of days. He said there is a national shortage of the stuff you all mention but as I have only 14 he is going to supply Spot On instead. He said the lamb may well die of shock overnight. I am also going to apply Lime to wall sides and gates etc for the scald. The Vet said scald and blow fly are terrible this year.  :-[

Cannot believe how quick they took hold.
         While coopers spot-on can kill maggots like crovect ,it provides no  PROTECTION

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »
Maybe the vet needs shouted at since they gave you the product

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:34 pm »
So sorry to hear you have lost your lamb, babysham.   :hug:

It does sound as though your vet is not giving you the best of advice, which is very worrying.   :o

I don't know about your local agri merchants, but ours produce their own versions of the branded products, so it might be worth asking them if they have a Crovect equivalent, and emphasising that you are looking for a flystrike prevention product.

Otherwise asking around local farmers and smallholders if anyone could spare you a few doses.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 03:52:02 pm »
Awful sorry to hear that. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 03:52:53 pm »
Getting hold of clikzen for protection should be a little easier. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:43 pm »
Since I started sing Clik I have had NO flystrike post-application in my flock! Did have bad experiences with Vetrazin (lost a tup, and laos really bad strike on a treated lamb!), Crovect has been ok, but Clik is so much better - only one application needed and lasts all summer! Bottle also last several years as long as stored correctly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS