Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'designer' breeds  (Read 3619 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
'designer' breeds
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:28 am »
OMG. Just had a bit of a shock to find that designer mongrels /crossbreeds are promoted and registered for a price with the kennel club on their website!  Found out after commenting on an ad for 'zhuchon' pups worth £400 each    :o
Bloody mongrels and the seller couldn't even spell the two breed names correctly. no mention of genetic breed problem links on the crossbreed register  :rant:
There is no hope with poorly educated breeders and  the kennel club ethics of  breeding for forseeable future  :'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: 'designer' breeds
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:56:38 am »
Did you tell them and can you post the link to that page on here please.  I know an awful lot of Judges who will also be horrified and I have a number of contacts at the KC

I was rather perturbed when they started Scrufts some years ago that it would encourage designer breeding, but it doesn't seem to have done that.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:12 am »
Have they started a crossbreed register or is it the companion register ?
Graham

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:08:43 am »
This is what they say on the website so where did you see it MS?

Benefits of using our Find a Puppy service
Search as many times as you like for FREE
Only KC registered puppies are advertised
Free email alert option when new puppy litters are added
Assured Breeders are listed at the top of searches
Breeders who advertise on it are expected to adhere to a Code of Ethics
Provides an excellent source of information on breed clubs, breed characteristics, breed standards and breed health
- See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/Default.aspx?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:53 am »
 http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/getting-a-dog-or-puppy/finding-the-right-dog/crossbreed-dogs/

I think I've linked it correctly. There isneven a list of cross breed names as examples  :rant:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:47 am »
I havent looked in depth at the registration but it was due to pointing out to the seller that I was amazed how he could sell a crossbreed calling it a zhuchon for £400. His comment was they sell for much more normally  :rant: and they could be registered with the kennel club which is when I found the page I hopefully have linked.

So.... Now I've looked, it is the companion dog register. It looks like the 'designer' dog breeder promotes the breed claiming it can be registered with the kennel club. Correct, it can on a companion register.  With this information a person looking into buying a dog for the first time can see people advertising these crossbreeds, see they can be registered on th KC website AND some of the crossbreeds are even named. Surely this is giving the indication that these crosses are acceptable as breeds and as being bred, and since the unknowing first dog owner doesn't know any better can get their advice from the advertising, moneymaking idiots breeding these
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:37:00 am by Mammyshaz »

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:04 am »
It's not a registration as in any form of documentation it's purely promotion of the KC through its activity register & the companion dog register - where your dog doesn't have to be pedigree to be a member.

Basically the owner of the mongrel is talking rubbish  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:35 am »
They probably don't realise what kind of registration it is - ignorance is bliss.  But teh KC should really make it cledarer.  I've reported this to our Breed committee.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:14 am »
Thanks Doganjo.   :thumbsup:

Right, I'm off my high horse now  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS