Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reindeer - help please  (Read 4186 times)

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
Reindeer - help please
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »
I am looking after reindeer for my neighbour who has moved back to england following a stressful time, but one of them is very poorly with diahrrea  he has been separated from the others a friend of my neighbours has put diahrrea powder in his food, which of course he won't eat.  We caught him today and gave him the solution via syringe but not sure if he swallowed it properly - he seemed to keep it in his mouth and spit it out.  The vet was called but as no one could catch this reindeer he could do nothing.  He said that he thought the reindeer had a big problem with parasites.

Can anyone give any suggestions please - is there maybe a food I can give this reindeer to tempt him again?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Nicki

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Reindeer - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:52:57 pm »
oooh, I am afraid I have no experience with reindeer.  If it is parasites - assuming worms, then really that needs treating.  Personally I do not like worming sick animals, as the wormers can be quite severe.  But if thats causing the problem, then it needs to be done.

I have had goats really ill and given them the powder in their water and it does help.  Is there anything that has changed with regard to feeding etc, that could have upset the reindeers system?  Or has it eaten anything poisonous by any chance?  The reindeer does need to at least drink something, as it will be dehydrated.  My goats if feeling ill, will drink warm water, and even the water from soaked sugar beet, again warm.

If you managed to catch the reindeer, could you not have kept it inside for the vet to look at?  I appreciate it is probably hard to catch, but really the vet needs to look to give a proper diagnosis, and could probably give it a jab, to help it feel better.

Sorry I cannot help, but fingers crossed the reindeer perks up for you.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:53:08 am »
Thanks Roxy for your advice really appreciate it.  We have managed to catch the reindeer twice now and given it dectromax on the instructions of the owner and also some powder via syringe for the diahhrea.  We will look at him again today and the chap who shares the care with us will get the vet out (the vet has already been and said it was parasites).

Fingers crossed for him.  I have to sell these reindeer as my neighbour has moved back to england and will not be coming back so any pointers as to where I may be able to would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nicki

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:16 am »
Santa?  ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:13:47 pm »
try these they claim to have over a hundred so they should know.

http://www.reindeercentre.co.uk/

or the caingorm herd

http://www.reindeer-company.demon.co.uk/

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:34:03 pm »
Thanks, much appreciated I will get in touch with them to see if they are interested in them.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
If you let me know how many, what age and sex and the location I might have a guy that may buy them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS