Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any ideas for christmas gifts to make?  (Read 5456 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
any ideas for christmas gifts to make?
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »
There's no getting away from it - christmas is coming, I am skint as usual and I have a large family,added to which it is raining and raining so I have no excuse, it's time to make christmas presents.
ANyone got any good ideas?
I made the bag from this link last week for my youngest sister in tweed which I begged from a trouser factory where i bought OH a pair of trews for his birthday. It looks good.
http://tinyhappy.typepad.com/tiny_happy/2006/06/shoulder_bag_tu.html
I am making some firelighters for a couple of impractical friends who like crafty stuff and have an open fire - idea came fro River cottage shop. http://www.rivercottage.net/ShopProduct509/FirConeFirelightersinadrawstringRiverCottagejutebag.aspx
and I'm making damson gin and chilli vodka which actually I tasted this morning and its vile, the aroma is reminiscent of a compost heap and then the afterbite blows your head off. I may have to label it as medicine, which would be believable. Not sure it will cure anything though -
Anybody doing anything else - I could do with some inspiration.
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: any ideas for christmas gifts to make?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:06:43 pm »
Have you a wicker basket, a small one will do.  Line it with shredded tissue paper, put in a few jars of home made chutneys/jams or anything else, preferably in small jars, cover all over with cling film, add some Christmassy ribbon. Or toiletries instead.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:17:36 pm »
Nice idea! :)
kirsty

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
MrJ was made redundant earlier this year and although he has now set up in business for himself, we are having to cut down on the money we spend on Christmas presents.  We are giving people sausages, bacon, sundried tomatoes and, in one case, a haggis.  I bought some really cheap coolbags and will pack them with homemade goodies.  Personally, I would much rather receive something home-made with love, than something that has been grabbed of a supermarket shelf.

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »
I make up hampers for family and friends, everybody gets a Christmas cake and then a selection of jams, chutneys, pickes and relishes - and either some alcohol (sloe gin, raspberry voka or the like), or home baking, or some pheasant if we have an excess.

Can't say it actually saves us money, but at least we know it all goes down well.  We do still buy for the kids.,
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:05 pm »
How about sweets!  We are making these for friends and family this year.  Coconut ice, fudge, chocolate brazils, marzipan stuffed dates, peppermint creams etc.  Little petit four cases are pennies from e-bay and I bet most of you have saved those pretty boxes you got last year or the year before!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:07 am »
Saw an idea in a magazine - will look it out - it was a cookie kit. Basically, a kilner jar with the ingredients (except eggs) for chocolate brownie or cookies. It looked lovely as the ingredients were layered brown and white.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 09:05:18 am »
Here's a good site for all kinds of 'gifts in a jar'
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml#jams
It's even got lables you can print out to stick onto them.  ;D

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:56 pm »
What a great website - thanks. Loads of ideas :) :) :) :)
kirsty

Lavinia

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Midlothian
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »
Here's a good site for all kinds of 'gifts in a jar'
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml#jams
It's even got lables you can print out to stick onto them.  ;D

What a fab web site have book marked for the future...

Ta
Lavinia

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS