Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on best chicken breeds and where to find them  (Read 13906 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
Advice on best chicken breeds and where to find them
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:53:10 pm »
Thinking of taking the plunge into getting a few chickens.  The plan is to house them within a run but they'll also get out to rummage about in large garden when I'm supervising (bit worried about buzzards here !)  Looking for breeds easy to manage for a beginner.  Love the 'flash' markings like 'barred'  and 'laced' also previously came across a picture of one that looked spotty - referred to as 'the dalmatian of the chicken world' with a foreign name but can't find it now !!!  Probably want to go between four and six - if six possibly two stripey ones, two 'lacey' ones, a black one and a buff one !!  Any suggestions on a suitable combination and where to find them most welcome (not hundreds of miles from west central scotland tho ) How many eggs would you expect on average from six hens (perhaps six is too many !) ?  thanks for any help

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Advice on best chicken breeds and where to find them
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:05:28 pm »
Hi, there

Any combination will work i.e. the hens won't care - so you're only limited by what you can get your hands on. Where are you? There are regular poultry sales at Lanark market and there was one at Stirling last week (which is no help at all, I realise). I bought from Stirling last week (first time from an auction) and the eight Black Rocks seem healthy and are starting to lay.

In a good year you'll get 260 -300 eggs per hen - but you'll have no problem getting rid of any surplus to friends and family. Or you can pickle them!

Where are you? We got nice Light Sussex form a bloke in Longniddry - he had loads of different breed too. If you want his number, PM me.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:23:10 pm »
 Hi CGAH we got 4 more chickens today - black rocks - they are a wonderful looking bird and i reckon would look fabulous as one of your new varieties - we got them from the farm up the road who was looking to get rid of some - not too old so plenty of laying in them yet - and only a fiver for the four - so worth seeing anyone local to you i reckon?  Im personally a big fan of the buff sussex - lovely traditional looking bird ;)
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »
Lucky you, Guy. We got eight Black Rocks last week at auction - not for a tenner, though.

CGAH, Black Rocks are great hens - they're hardy, reliable and lay well. And they are lovely with beetle black plumage, with green and blue through it.

My favourite hen so far was a Brown Leghorn - she laid white eggs, occasionally and all over the place; she was totally bonkers and absolutely lovely. She died earlier this year - we'd had her about 4 or 5 years. She had a broken wing but it didn't stop her getting on top of the greenhouse!

We've also got Light Sussex and Rhode Island Reds, which are "proper" farmyard hens! The LS look like Lady Cluck in Disney's Robin Hood - plump ladies with big white bloomers!

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:10:35 pm »
Perfect description of the light sussex rosemary - i shall never look at them again without drawing that image :D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:39 pm »
thanks for the replies - Guy/Rosemary - off now to explore and find pictures of the breeds you've listed.  Rosemary - Lanark Market - brings back memories, remember going there (the old market) as a 'wee lassie' and hankering fafter orphan lambs, ducks and chickens a few years ago now tho !    In Ayrshire now.  Thanks for the offer of the contact number, however, being a bit tekkyphobic here - how do I do the PM bit ?  thanks again

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:21:36 am »
Hi, CGAH

I too am a complte luddite -but, click on the envelope on this ost below my name on the left hand side. That will get you to me by email.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS